lick tubs/salt mixes

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I am wanting to supplement my cattle with lick tubs. Which kind would be the best? They have the cheaper ones that are not as hard so they go thru them faster or they have the ones that cost twice as much and are suppose to last longer. Any actual experiences you can tell me about? Also what about salt mixes? They have pretty high protein to supplement so-so fescue hay. Which do you think would be the best? I feel like my cattle need something because the hay is not that good. Thanks for all responses!!!

I'm using the 24% protein tubs from Tractor Supply. They aren't going through them too quickly. They are pricey, but the only better solution I can find is to get the 300 gallon tanks which I plan to do before next Winter. Buying in bulk gets the liquid for $1 gallon versus about twice that for the tubs. The lick tubs are 200 lbs. each and contain most nutrients and micronutrients including salt, so if you get the tubs you might not need to keep replacing your salt supply. I'm in Florida and I still have plenty of forage. Unfortunately the forage has the nutritional value of cardboard right now. Good enough not to invest in a lot of hay for roughage anyway.

> I am wanting to supplement my
> cattle with lick tubs. Which kind
> would be the best? They have the
> cheaper ones that are not as hard
> so they go thru them faster or
> they have the ones that cost twice
> as much and are suppose to last
> longer. Any actual experiences you
> can tell me about? Also what about
> salt mixes? They have pretty high
> protein to supplement so-so fescue
> hay. Which do you think would be
> the best? I feel like my cattle
> need something because the hay is
> not that good. Thanks for all
> responses!!!

Look at the percentage of water in each tub mix. Some of the brands have you paying for way too much water.

> I'm using the 24% protein tubs
> from Tractor Supply. They aren't
> going through them too quickly.
> They are pricey, but the only
> better solution I can find is to
> get the 300 gallon tanks which I
> plan to do before next Winter.
> Buying in bulk gets the liquid for
> $1 gallon versus about twice that
> for the tubs. The lick tubs are
> 200 lbs. each and contain most
> nutrients and micronutrients
> including salt, so if you get the
> tubs you might not need to keep
> replacing your salt supply. I'm in
> Florida and I still have plenty of
> forage. Unfortunately the forage
> has the nutritional value of
> cardboard right now. Good enough
> not to invest in a lot of hay for
> roughage anyway.

i have used the bargain ones and they are gone in a few days. i have used the crystsalyx and they do last longer. but they will eat the first one faster than they will if you keep them out continually.
> responses!!!

[email protected]

> responses!!!

We use run cows on so-so fescue and keep the longer lasting mineral tubs in front of them, as well as free choice minerals, which has the same thing as the tubs, but allows the cows to get their fill faster. A cow could lick about all day on one of those tubs and not get the needed nutritional requirements.

[email protected]

> We use run cows on so-so fescue
> and keep the longer lasting
> mineral tubs in front of them, as
> well as free choice minerals,
> which has the same thing as the
> tubs, but allows the cows to get
> their fill faster. A cow could
> lick about all day on one of those
> tubs and not get the needed
> nutritional requirements. Thats intresting as I tried loose minreals and the tub lix can't get the cows to eat the tubs. wont g near them I tried a little grain on top and they will eat the grain but not the licks.Any ideas??..Cindy

[email protected]

I would personally use liquid feed, high in protein, and makes cattle eat poor forage and provides the Nitrogen for protein production in the rumen by the microbes, they dont over consume it and it is more cost effective than those heavy lick tubs, just an opinion, but I don't like to mess with them

[email protected]

i never had that problem, my bull plays with the ones in plastic, everyday he rolls it and turns it upside down until the tub comes loose. he doest bother the metal tubs that i have seen.

[email protected]

>I bought a cow that was real poor and I put her up and feed her hay and grain and she is coughin very little , her eyes are clear and her nose is running a little. What could I give her to clear it up?

[email protected]

If it's just kind of an occasional cough, time will help. Cows cough, much like humans. Cold weather, dusty feed, a little bit of the snots, there can be a bunch of reasons. Keep an eye on her, if she stays bright eyed and bushy tailed and eats well, doesn't spend a lot of time just laying around other then we's chewing her cud, I wouldn't worry about it. If things change, temp her and go from there. Sometimes (many times actaully) benign neglect is the best course.

dun

[email protected]

> I would personally use liquid
> feed, high in protein, and makes
> cattle eat poor forage and
> provides the Nitrogen for protein
> production in the rumen by the
> microbes, they dont over consume
> it and it is more cost effective
> than those heavy lick tubs, just
> an opinion, but I don't like to
> mess with them What type do you use and how will it hold up to weather?? I got mine to eat the tub lix after I dumped it on the ground.It had alot of water in it..Cindy

[email protected]

in some areas there are several types available, find out what types are available in your area, get cost per ton and ask if they provide a lick feeder, some don't, the people I get my liquid feed from provide the lick troughs, and deliver to the ranch, if I had to choose, and I did, I chose cost and convienience, the price is right and they provided the feeders and deliver where and when I need it, based on a map of our place, and each feeder is numbered. So I can request which ones I need filled and how full to fill them. They hold up very well in all sorts of weather, and when not in use I turn them over to prevent water collecting, the wheels the cattle lick turn in the syrup, thus mixing the stuff and keeping it moving and preventing stagnation. The molassass in it is a perfect groth media for bacteria. Again, some people like the tubs, I don't, it is a matter of likes and dislikes, I don't like going to look for empty tubs that blow all over when the cows are done with them, and they are heavy, too heavy for me to mess with anyway.

Hope this helps

[email protected]

Latest posts