Lick Tubes or Cake ????????????

Help Support CattleToday:

Shaun7HL

Reaction score
I have a question, Would you rather use lick tubes or keep caking the cows before calving even with the same amount of protein in the tubes and cake ??????

Thanks

Welcome to the Board Shaun. :tiphat:

We like to use the tubs with hay. The cows get to "eat" as much of the tub as they like.

A good mineral tub is, I believe, a very important part of successful calving. I appreciate a very good neighbor sharing that information with me. There are a lot of trace elements in a good tub that are important to calving.

The problem is that the ingredients in a good mineral tub are expensive therefore a good mineral tub is expensive. However uneventful, successful calving is a lot less expensive than having calving problems, calf problems. But the lack of (or greatly reduced) calving problems is a difficult thing to prove and to calculate a return on....

Basically a good mineral tub, well ahead of calving, is worth its weight in gold, in my humble and limited experience opinion.

There is much more than just protein in successful calving. Selenium I believe in trace amounts makes a difference but I am out of my area on this one. It just seems to work.

http://www.crystalyx.com/beef/pdfs/Mineral-lyx.pdf

Here is the one I use, may be others similar but this one seems to work for me. Compare the ingredients in various tubs, not just the price. Good question and good luck.

Jim

grannysoo":2u5k0q2i said:
We use lick tanks and tubs, depending on where the cows are located.
I use a lick tank as well. Tubs are more expensive then liquid feed and nearly impossible to regulate consumption with. With a lick tank I can open or close the limiters to regulate how much they take in.

Shaun7HL":3ryno45d said:
I have a question, Would you rather use lick tubes or keep caking the cows before calving even with the same amount of protein in the tubes and cake ??????

Thanks

We're experimenting and bought some lick tubs this year. They're more expensive than the cottonseed cubes that we usually feed. But they do contain some nutrients that the cubes don't.

We tried a different brand tub several years ago and the cows didn't lick them, they ate them. Just scooped out a mounthful and ate them. They didn't last anywhere near as long as they were supposed to. These we've got now have held up well.

Shaun7HL":2p8bq069 said:

Thanks

The first thing that popped into my mind was "let them eat cake".

Then I thought "what's a lick tube? I've seen lick tubs, and I even use those, but I've never seen a lick tube? how long is the tube, and how big around, is it a small tube, like a garden hose, do the cows suck on the end of the tube??? "

But then I decided not to post either of those statements because they would make me sound like a smart "be nice". :dunce:

I like the lick tubs. The ones I use are pretty solid and they last quite a while, even with the number of cows I have. Also it's nice to know it's out there when the protein levels slack off in the fall, and winter. Anything I can do to keep the condition of the cows up before calving is going to effect the undeveloped calf in a positive way.

novaman":eci9j5nf said:
grannysoo":eci9j5nf said:
We use lick tanks and tubs, depending on where the cows are located.
I use a lick tank as well. Tubs are more expensive then liquid feed and nearly impossible to regulate consumption with. With a lick tank I can open or close the limiters to regulate how much they take in.
Alot of the tubs have limiters built in them
I have done a few trials on different brands and types of tubs the ones that were the most expensive to buy were also the cheapest to feed over a prolonged period of time my cost last yr was less than 27 cents per day per cow/calf pair this was during the months of Dec thru March
some of the cheaper priced tubs cost alot more $ per day because of high consumption

All of these are supplements and primarily protein supplements with some vitamins and minerals. Cooked tubs are low consumption tubs but how much real protein does a cow obtain from eating 1/2 to 2/3 lb. per head per day. Vitamins and minerals are supplemented via the tubs but none have inclusion rates that meet the daily needs of a cow when she consumes 9 to 12 oz. per head per day, although they will receive some benefit. Strictly from a cost standpoint tubs are the most expensive per ton but there is the benefit of them being available 24 hrs. a day and are easy to put out. Feeding cake supplies much more protein and most times is a higher quality protein than that used the in the high protein liquid feeds and tubs, is higher in energy than most and more digestible. Bagged mineral ordinarily has to be fed separately but will supply the daily vitamin and mineral needs of the cattle. Although more labor intensive, feeding cake gives you the opportunity to observe the cattle, mix with the cattle and watch for potential problems and catch them early. I've use tubs, liquid feed and cubes and day in and day out still prefer to put the cubes out....watch the cattle eat and drink a cold one. :cowboy: Others probably feel just as strongly about their methods of supplementation.

Neither unless they are getting very low quality hay. They get loose minerals and salt. Occasionally they'll get some cubes just to keep them honest and coming to the pens. Maybe twice a month during the winter since they are not undergoing frequent pasture rotation.

I am certainly not the most knowledgable, I tried the tubs- cattle got the schitts, I tried the loose mineral- cattle won't eat it. I use mineral blocks and loose salt and they are doing fine, I do give them a little sweet feed or cubes occasionally just to keep them following a bucket, but very little. Times are tough and they need to eat grass and hay. I am of the opinion that feeding costs are too high anyway and throwing more money at the situation is really pointless, if I have to supplement feed, I will reduce my herd size. I know this approach won't work for everyone.

newrancher":24o41cqk said:
I am certainly not the most knowledgable, I tried the tubs- cattle got the schitts, I tried the loose mineral- cattle won't eat it. I use mineral blocks and loose salt and they are doing fine, I do give them a little sweet feed or cubes occasionally just to keep them following a bucket, but very little. Times are tough and they need to eat grass and hay. I am of the opinion that feeding costs are too high anyway and throwing more money at the situation is really pointless, if I have to supplement feed, I will reduce my herd size. I know this approach won't work for everyone.
Yes costs are too high but that doesn't mean you cut what you spend. Protein levels are very important and reducing herd size won't increase the protein content of the hay.

Never heard of a lick tube. Is that a pvc pipe with peanut butter in it or something? I have heard of a lick tub but not a lick tube. Which one was it you were talking about?

novaman, I wasn't implying that you should ignore nutrition. I just think that a lot of folks are spending money that is not necessary, I had what I thought was some really sorry hay and I had it tested. Guess what? It really wasn't that bad nutritionally and the cattle ate it just fine once they figured out that was all they were going to get.

S&WSigma40VEShooter":3w1ts4lb said:
Well we still have not gotten a response as to what lick tube is.
From another post on this thread
"Then I thought "what's a lick tube? I've seen lick tubs, and I even use those, but I've never seen a lick tube? how long is the tube, and how big around, is it a small tube, like a garden hose, do the cows suck on the end of the tube??? "

But then I decided not to post either of those statements because they would make me sound like a smart "be nice".

newrancher":1h62mjrm said:
novaman, I wasn't implying that you should ignore nutrition. I just think that a lot of folks are spending money that is not necessary, I had what I thought was some really sorry hay and I had it tested. Guess what? It really wasn't that bad nutritionally and the cattle ate it just fine once they figured out that was all they were going to get.

Smart fellow....never judge hay by appearance. Always get a test. Heck I've even bought hay based on the hay test....especially moisture content.

TexasBred":3sr8wdco said:
newrancher":3sr8wdco said:

Smart fellow....never judge hay by appearance. Always get a test. Heck I've even bought hay based on the hay test....especially moisture content.

I hear ya on that. I have my hay tested every year. Then I decide how much if any the cows need to be supplemented.

dun":j34r79i5 said:
S&WSigma40VEShooter":j34r79i5 said:
Well we still have not gotten a response as to what lick tube is.
From another post on this thread
"Then I thought "what's a lick tube? I've seen lick tubs, and I even use those, but I've never seen a lick tube? how long is the tube, and how big around, is it a small tube, like a garden hose, do the cows suck on the end of the tube??? "

But then I decided not to post either of those statements because they would make me sound like a smart "be nice".

I was not trying to be a smart be nice I was just asking a question. I didnt know if he was talking about something new I had never heard of or if it was in fact a lick tub. I didnt want to assume it was a tub and then post about that and him come back and say it was a tube and me sound like an idgit.

Latest posts