Lick tanks

Help Support CattleToday:

farmguy

Reaction score
Not sure where this should go so here it is. I have a lick tank I used many years ago. Are they still used? Is it for protein and minerals? I only used it once if I remember but was wondering if it a viable source of supplement. Do they still fill the tanks? thanks farmguy

In my area,few if any use them anymore.Most use a 200lb tub with about protein and a small amount of Ca/Ph and Magnesium.

You must be careful when feeding brood cows since some contain salt and a too wide ratio of calcium to phosphorous and the amount of salt will keep them from eating enough balanced mineral.

I've always wondered if the urea in some protein blocks or liquid would further affect the magnesium balance in a cows system.Maybe Lucky P will see this and answer.

The first couple of years I never let mine go empty. Lately, I've stopped that practice and only keep them full in the winter to supplement when I'm feeding hay.

slick4591":xpqshsye said:
The first couple of years I never let mine go empty. Lately, I've stopped that practice and only keep them full in the winter to supplement when I'm feeding hay.
What Slick said. There is a feed store around my area that fills them, but only in the winter months. It's mainly molasses

Liquid molasses and bagged protein here in central Florida year round.

Txpiney":22elxqjy said:
slick4591":22elxqjy said:
What Slick said. There is a feed store around my area that fills them, but only in the winter months. It's mainly molasses
BUT depending on the brand it will contain from 24% to 32% crude protein, much of it often coming from urea as well as vitamins and minerals. Works very well in many situations. Why would anybody want to feed just straight molasses?? It has very little nutritional value "as is".

TexasBred":1uuqvmzq said:
Txpiney":1uuqvmzq said:
slick4591":1uuqvmzq said:
BUT depending on the brand it will contain from 24% to 32% crude protein, much of it often coming from urea as well as vitamins and minerals. Works very well in many situations. Why would anybody want to feed just straight molasses?? It has very little nutritional value "as is".

Molasses puts weight on cows. It is not used for a mineral here.

Jimbob":2ix37de7 said:
TexasBred":2ix37de7 said:
Txpiney":2ix37de7 said:

Not exactly how it works But it will make them eat the palmettos

Jimbob":9bj88j0x said:
TexasBred":9bj88j0x said:
Txpiney":9bj88j0x said:

Actually I'd think it would be just the reverse. Cane molasses has a large number of vitamins and minerals in substantial amounts but very little protein and energy. Any gain would be very minimal.

TexasBred":1xee9uoy said:
Jimbob":1xee9uoy said:
TexasBred":1xee9uoy said:

Actually I'd think it would be just the reverse. Cane molasses has a large number of vitamins and minerals in substantial amounts but very little protein and energy. Any gain would be very minimal.

I don't know what all is in it, but it is a thick Brown concoction and smells like molasses

Txpiney":pc4i5z5n said:
TexasBred":pc4i5z5n said:
Jimbob":pc4i5z5n said:

I don't know what all is in it, but it is a thick Brown concoction and smells like molasses
Waht I'm afraid of. Often there is just enough molasses to make it brown and smell good and then a lot of other stuff.

Latest posts