lice, I think?

Help Support CattleToday:

kenojoe:

Are you sure this isnt ringworm? (Fungus)

Your description also fits my a few of my cattle who have been fighting ringworm all winter long. I treated them for about 2 weeks, and finally gave up after others told me that in time it would go away on its own. Now all 8 have a spot here and there,.......and a few are missing hair, mostly around there tail heads, and between their hind legs. An occasional patch on the shoulder or rump. Not crusty or anything.........just bare gray spots,. ...with no hair.

Lice are most common in the wintertime. If my cows get itchy and start rubbing patches of skin off, it's lice. It usually happens here in January. At least that's the month I seem to notice the problem. We use ivomec with good results. Your vet can advise which medications work for lice. There are others besides ivomec.

I was recently told that goat prevent ringworm in cattle. Why this is true, I am not sure, but I often see a couple of goats in a herd of cattle.
In the "Beef" magazine, they are advertising a pour on insecticide called, "Clean-up Pour-on." It advertises that cattle can be protected with a single application. It reads to have an Insect Growth Regulator (IGR) and it controls both chewing and sucking lice on lactating dairy cattle and beef cattle and calves with a single application. It says it gets rid of lice for good. I cannot find any information on this product. I am trying to decide how long it rids them of the lice. It seems that it couldn't rid them all together for years to come. I did send in the card in the "Beef" magazine for new products. When I went to the manufacturers website, the product is not shown or will come up doing a search. It is advertised in the Cow Calf issue on page 29 for those who get the magazine. My area is a lice prone area. I am seeing evidence of it in several herds around.

Lice are the most active durring the change from winter to spring, thats when they mke the trip from the head to the tail to lay their eggs. I use Eprinex pour on and dip the lower 8 -10 inches of the tail in diesel fuel. Dont laugh to loud, it works. I got it from an article written by a group of cattlemen from Florida, said they had done this for years with good results. The thinking makes sence, kill the eggs, no adults. Only one word of advice, Do this on a cold day when you can stand to wear a rubber suit and safety glasses. No will get nasty!

Corn Stalk was talking about ringworm and I just thought I would throw in something about it.
I've been fighting it also but most of mine is on the face (makes for a pitiful looking cow) Everyone said it would be hard to treat because you can't get anything in their eyes while treating. I hung some backrubs with face flaps and put burnt motor oil on them and my ringworm is gone before summer (when the vet said it would clear up on its own). I'm not going to say that this is what cured it but it seems like it was. I've heard that ringworm can disappear kinda quickly on its own some, maybe i just got lucky. I don't know but I'd rather be lucky than good anyday.

Latest posts