Liability insurance for teenagers

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
My twins turn 16 in a few days, They bought their vehicles, but I will be paying the insurance. The vehicles they bought aren't nice enough for full coverage, all they will need is liability. My insurance man said he can't quote a price til they get their full license. I'm kinda calling bull on that, but oh well. The vehicles added to my insurance, only raised it $24 a month. He said when they can be added, it will go up a few hundred. That sound right? seems high for just liability coverage.

Sounds about right to me for a vehicle. Not so sure about a teenagers vehicle. I pay about $500 a year for a 2005 3/4 ton farm truck.

Oh wait. Go up $200 a month? $100 for each vehicle? I'd expect that also.

Whew! Oldest of our 4 started driving 17(!!!) years ago. Seems like his premium was $220/month, and he got all the good student discounts and one for going through a defensive driving course.
The girls were cheaper than the boys, but not a whole lot less.
We carried them until they graduated college and got a paying job. Don't know remember if there was a time when I was paying insurance on all 4 at the same time, but several years of paying for 3 of them.

Lucky_P said:
Whew! Oldest of our 4 started driving 17(!!!) years ago. Seems like his premium was $220/month, and he got all the good student discounts and one for going through a defensive driving course.
The girls were cheaper than the boys, but not a whole lot less.
We carried them until they graduated college and got a paying job. Don't know remember if there was a time when I was paying insurance on all 4 at the same time, but several years of paying for 3 of them.

Was this a full coverage policy, or just liability? That sounds terribly expensive.

My daughter just got her first car. A $2000 car with liability only is $400, for the rest of the year. So, girl, car and live in Missouri.

Yes, it goes up dramatically with teens. If I may offer some advice, get the maximum Liability and UM coverage you can. It will not cost that much more, but if something goes wrong, either with them or some drunk on the road, you will be glad you did! The extra limits don't add that much to policy cost and are well worth it for your own protection!

Pretty sure it was just liability; 4 year old $7K car.
Teenage boys do stupid stuff...so premiums are accordingly steep.
I won't swear that I'm remembering the cost correctly, but I think so...

an old $2000 beater can tear up a slick $80,000 car lick-idy-split....not to mention medical bills. :shock:

We have Farm Bureau insurance and they no longer put your teenager on a specific vehicle, they are just on your general policy as a driver of any of your vehicles. I guess they caught onto the fact that many parents were putting their kids liability on an old farm truck while they were actually driving better vehicles. Ours didn't go up as much as I thought it would when we added our son, although I don't remember how much because it's been 3 or 4 years ago.

Around here they just throw a Farm tag on and drive. Going up the road a short distance yesterday I passed three with farm tags. One looked like an almost new Toyota Tundra, Chevy 2500 nice and the other a beat up old F-150 that probably was a farm truck.

The good news is the liability premiums will go down when they reach 21 (for girls) or 25 (for guys), so you have something to look forward to.

I wonder if one of these internet based insurance companies would be cheaper? All they are getting is liability.

1982vett said:
an old $2000 beater can tear up a slick $80,000 car lick-idy-split....not to mention medical bills. :shock:

Yup. Liability is for what damage they cause to the other person... not the damage to your vehicle. 16-25 yr old insurance is expensive. How good or bad their vehicle is will have little to do with it.

Rafter S said:
The good news is the liability premiums will go down when they reach 21 (for girls) or 25 (for guys), so you have something to look forward to.

I always heard this but it wasn't true for me. I pay roughly the same now as I did 5 years ago (I'm 27 now). $60 a month for the bare minimum on an 06 Silverado and an 08 Mazda car. Only thing on my record is a speeding ticket from 2016. They went down a little, but not much.

I shop around every couple years, they will raise your rates for no apparent reason, Progressive was creeping up $10 a year, so I have Geico now.

Atimm693 said:
Rafter S said:

I always heard this but it wasn't true for me. I pay roughly the same now as I did 5 years ago (I'm 27 now). $60 a month for the bare minimum on an 06 Silverado and an 08 Mazda car. Only thing on my record is a speeding ticket from 2016. They went down a little, but not much.

I shop around every couple years, they will raise your rates for no apparent reason, Progressive was creeping up $10 a year, so I have Geico now.

I'm 32 and mine has never gone down either. When I was younger I collected speeding tickets like baseball cards. Around 26 I went on a four year streak with 1 ticket. It never went down so I gave up trying. I pay around a grand every 6 months.

I was in one wreck the whole time last Thanksgiving and it was because a truck tried to cut thru a construction zone and dive in between me and another car. The police faulted him and wrote him a ticket. Progressive tried to keep my deductible because they could prove who the drive was and the guys insurance, Fred Loya, was trying to say it didnt happen blah blah blah... basically they were illegal. They said they had to settle on my behalf. I ripped them a new one. I only had $1200 in damage and the majority of that was a replacement ranch hand bumper which saved them money. An oem would have been more expensivem. My deductible was $500 so they were making out with only $700 in costs. The lady literally hung up on me. I ripped them on every survey or review I could find. Another person ended up calling me again and I gave them the same deal. Resent the police report, pics, etc. They ended up sending me my deductible.

My dad had to sue his own insurance, Progressive, to pay above what the person's insurance, who hit him, would cover.

With that said, the minimum insurance you have to have to drive a vehicle is a joke. It doesnt get close to covering medical bills for even a minor injury. It needs to be raised.

Brute 23 said:
Atimm693 said:
Rafter S said:

I'm 32 and mine has never gone down either. When I was younger I collected speeding tickets like baseball cards. Around 26 I went on a four year streak with 1 ticket. It never went down so I gave up trying. I pay around a grand every 6 months.

I was in one wreck the whole time last Thanksgiving and it was because a truck tried to cut thru a construction zone and dive in between me and another car. The police faulted him and wrote him a ticket. Progressive tried to keep my deductible because they could prove who the drive was and the guys insurance, Fred Loya, was trying to say it didnt happen blah blah blah... basically they were illegal. They said they had to settle on my behalf. I ripped them a new one. I only had $1200 in damage and the majority of that was a replacement ranch hand bumper which saved them money. An oem would have been more expensivem. My deductible was $500 so they were making out with only $700 in costs. The lady literally hung up on me. I ripped them on every survey or review I could find. Another person ended up calling me again and I gave them the same deal. Resent the police report, pics, etc. They ended up sending me my deductible.

My dad had to sue his own insurance, Progressive, to pay above what the person's insurance, who hit him, would cover.

With that said, the minimum insurance you have to have to drive a vehicle is a joke. It doesnt get close to covering medical bills for even a minor injury. It needs to be raised.

As I said above, stay away from Progressive. There is a reason they can pay for all of that advertising they do. They are like an organized crime syndicate!

Everything I own, with the exception of my rental properties and my boat, is insured under one farm policy with Nationwide. It includes my residence, vehicles, equipment, cows, hay, barns, utv, atv, liability, etc. I couldn't be more satisfied with them. They are first class, though I've only had two claims. One from weather damage and one from a school bus hitting my parked work truck. They send an adjuster and once the adjuster evaluates the situation they cut a check on the spot. I don't know why they won't insure a boat but that's a minor inconvenience. I just added my 16 year old as a driver and haven't seen the increase yet. I believe it is supposed to be around $100/month. Rental properties are with Auto Owners. They're not bad but you usually have to haggle with them to keep them from screwing you.

Have you got a quote from GEICO yet? I know a couple around here that got a decent settlement when needed.
Warren Buffet has made a train load of money off the stock as Geico has been his best investment.

https://www.fool.com/investing/2019/12/29/heres-how-much-money-warren-buffett-has-made-in-ge.aspx

jltrent said:
Have you got a quote from GEICO yet? I know a couple around here that got a decent settlement when needed.
Warren Buffet has made a train load of money off the stock as Geico has been his best investment.

https://www.fool.com/investing/2019/12/29/heres-how-much-money-warren-buffett-has-made-in-ge.aspx

Ran it after seeing your post. $407.60 per month. Left my number and email. I'd like to talk to them. That seems high for online insurance.

Latest posts