Liability insurance for teenagers

Help Support CattleToday:

When I was 16 or 18 or whenever I was going for the license, my liability alone would have been $1200-1500/year. If you got in one accident within 6 year then it went up to around $2500-3000. And a 2nd accident within 6 years, you had to go to the specialty high-risk insurance companies and they could charge whatever they wanted (usually in the $4-6k range). Guy I went to school with ended up with two accidents within 6 years, one out of province (which he never reported to his insurance) and under the age of 20, his liability was around $10k per year for a couple years after the 2nd accident.

Needless to say I didn't get a vehicle and start driving lots until I was 22 and in university in Manitoba, where it is public insurance and a fraction of the cost. My liability there was like $250 per year. When I came back to Ontario, my liability went to $600.

Auto insurance is a racket. I hate paying it but it's mandatory at least for liability and with so many people in Tx on the road that somehow are able to renew their drivers lic and annual registration without actually having coverage, I have to have full coverage on my 2 main vehicles. I pay a lot even for liability. Even tho we don't have kids at home my wife has a heavy foot and has been involved in at least 4 at fault accidents(all relatively minor) and has 1/2 dozen speeding tickets, including one for 90 in a 55 on Interstate 10 farther West when the nat speed limit was 55.
My last ticket was in 1984 (45 in a 35 Victoria Tx) and my only accident in the last 3 decades was when a feral hog ran out in front of me one Christmas morning and I couldn't avoid hitting it, but you can't separate adult drivers in the same household into 2 separate policies.

Latest posts