Letter from Dept of Interior/BLM regarding coal mining East Texas

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
Anyone else in East Tx getting one of these?

Had a letter arrive in the mail today informing I had been identified as having property that overlies federal coal deposits within the BLM Resource Management Planning Area for the OKT (Okla & Tx) Joint EIS/BLM RMP and BIA IRMP and a questionnaire was included regarding whether I would approve or disapprove of 'mining by other than underground mining techniques (i.e.,surface coal mining.)
Both my sisters and a couple of my neighbors got one as well.
Damn govt, it's slimy burrowrats and their lackeys and suckasses all need to go fornicate themselves.

The dang thing just arrived today, and reply is supposed to be returned prior to Jan 6,2018, which was 9 days ago.
:bang: :bang: :bang:

I guess since Sundow (Alcoa) just shut down and Gibbons Creek generates 3 month a year now....a new coal plant needs to be built to take their place..... :)

1982vett":rdu8lm88 said:
I guess since Sundow (Alcoa) just shut down and Gibbons Creek generates 3 month a year now....a new coal plant needs to be built to take their place..... :)
Pretty sure Gibbons Creek is completely shut down 12 months of the year now.
I didn't see a single vehicle there last time I drove by it and there were pretty tall weeds everywhere.
(maybe that was during their shutdown period tho)

Not sure what this whole thing is all about.....yet.
But pretty neat trick. Type something out on Dec 9, mail it out during Christmas rush and say it must arrive back to by Jan 9, otherwise BLM will by default, use whatever means they would without the recipient's input...

backhoeboogie":3rgw93wn said:
My land near Marshall has serious lignite beneath it. I have not seen anything yet.
I bet it does too...that's a heck of a big excavator they have working there too.

It might be the silver lining around the cloud you have been looking for. This administration is going to aggressively pursue production on all mineral and timber resources. If the coal underlying you surface deed is federal mineral, they are going to give it away for a song in order to promote private enterprise. You didn't give details of what rights your deed affords you but you should get compensated for access.

backhoeboogie":28soz07o said:
My land near Marshall has serious lignite beneath it. I have not seen anything yet.
Been mining it a long time too. Back in the 60's when I was a kid working in Jefferson use to see where they were mining it between Tatum and Marshall on both sides of the highway. Understand now they're talking about shutting down Martin Creek Power plant located in that same area. Use to catch some good fish there.

No way they are building a new coal plant.

The good thing about surface mining is they peel every square inch and when they are done they put it back clear, smooth, and planted pretty with grass. It doesn't take them that long to get what they need an move on usually. Good for cattle.

Brute 23":3mfbv9j7 said:

The good thing about surface mining is they peel every square inch and when they are done they put it back clear, smooth, and planted pretty with grass. It doesn't take them that long to get what they need an move on usually. Good for cattle.
Amazing how awesome that reclaimed land is. Drove through a bunch of it near the power plant I mentioned. It was beautiful. I'm told they put back hills where there were hills, trees where there were trees, build tanks everywhere needed and always replant with grasses like coastal bermuda.

TexasBred":heomlydu said:
Brute 23":heomlydu said:

Amazing how awesome that reclaimed land is. Drove through a bunch of it near the power plant I mentioned. It was beautiful. I'm told they put back hills where there were hills, trees where there were trees, build tanks everywhere needed and always replant with grasses like coastal bermuda.

TB,

Surface Mine reclamation is very effective. When I inspected the surface mines out of the Casper Wyoming district in the 1980s, landowners advertised their land for mining because the reclaimed lands were more productive than the pre-existing lands.

Caustic Burno":2r21a7tk said:
Are they still strip mining between Buffalo and Mart out on Hwy 164?
The Jewitt mine shut down in 2016 but I think they are still generating with Wyoming coal.

I've been watching them do it off 37 south of SA for several years and they do a great job getting all the layers back. We dealt with the guys that do it for that plant when we drilled on some of the land they mine. Its neat what all goes in to it.

greybeard":of4zyfw0 said:
Anyone else in East Tx getting one of these?

Had a letter arrive in the mail today informing I had been identified as having property that overlies federal coal deposits within the BLM Resource Management Planning Area for the OKT (Okla & Tx) Joint EIS/BLM RMP and BIA IRMP and a questionnaire was included regarding whether I would approve or disapprove of 'mining by other than underground mining techniques (i.e.,surface coal mining.)
Both my sisters and a couple of my neighbors got one as well.
be nice govt, it's slimy burrowrats and their lackeys and suckasses all need to go fornicate themselves.
And now they can say that they sent out letters to all involved and no one opposed it.

The dang thing just arrived today, and reply is supposed to be returned prior to Jan 6,2018, which was 9 days ago.
:bang: :bang: :bang:

Caustic Burno":1nctno6h said:
Are they still strip mining between Buffalo and Mart out on Hwy 164?
Went through there a few weeks ago and the big machine was still stripping overburden so still mining. I think maybe that is aother of the plants scheduled to be shut down.

have a hard time selling any mining operation here in fl..everyones against it. sure they put it back...take a salt shaker half full of salt and half full of pepper in separate layers.. then dump it on the counter..scoop it back into the bottle..thats reclaimed land. besides all the ground waters and the aquifer is totally corrupted.
phosphate here is the most hated ind in florida. I live in mine country...huge draglines everywhere and horror stories for everyone of em
Im not direstly affected but a lot of people I know are..some have had to abandon their homes after being unable to live in the toxic water and dust
not owning mineral rights can be a problem...

dieselbeef":3bafyg8j said:
have a hard time selling any mining operation here in fl..everyones against it. sure they put it back...take a salt shaker half full of salt and half full of pepper in separate layers.. then dump it on the counter..scoop it back into the bottle..thats reclaimed land. besides all the ground waters and the aquifer is totally corrupted.
phosphate here is the most hated ind in florida. I live in mine country...huge draglines everywhere and horror stories for everyone of em
Im not direstly affected but a lot of people I know are..some have had to abandon their homes after being unable to live in the toxic water and dust

Coal Mining in the United States is regulated by the DOI, Office of Surface Mining (OSM) under The Surface Mining Control and Reclamation Act of 1977 (SMCRA). That act also covers the surface effects of underground mining. SMCRA includes statues that authorizes the OSM to grant primacy to states. Almost every state has received primacy. That means the Florida regulatory authority may be doing a poor job or the mining you are referring to was conducted before 1977. But it is not hardly like your salt and pepper analogy. Topsoil and subsoils have to be carefully segregated, stockpiled and replaced in proper order. Most mine lands reclaimed under SMCRA are more productive than they were before mining.

dieselbeef":36zxdmyr said:
I know i cant win any argument with you but come to florida...it is nothing like what you say

Was it mined before 1977? If so, that explains it. If after 1977, somebody was not doing their job. I don't doubt you one bit. I apologize if you thought I was.

Latest posts