Lets see your oldest piece of equipment that is still in use

Help Support CattleToday:

CowboyRam

Reaction score
This grain auger is the oldest peace of equipment we have here on the farm. The wheels are off of something else, what I have no clue. in 2005 dad, uncle Duane and I went to a farm sale; dad bought a harrow that was really worn out when he bought it, but we still have part of it. They were trying to get bids on this old auger, but weren't having much luck, my uncle piped up and offered a dollar, well it followed us home that day. He gave it to dad. Not bad for a dollar. We did have to put a new motor on it this year; took the motor off to have it changed from 220 to 110, and one winding was burnt out. I think we estimated it was from somewhere in the late forty's to early fifty's. That old motor weighed a ton, well at least if felt like it.

20221217_123716.jpg

This grain auger is the oldest peace of equipment we have here on the farm. The wheels are off of something else, what I have no clue. in 2005 dad, uncle Duane and I went to a farm sale; dad bought a harrow that was really worn out when he bought it, but we still have part of it. They were trying to get bids on this old auger, but weren't having much luck, my uncle piped up and offered a dollar, well it followed us home that day. He gave it to dad. Not bad for a dollar. We did have to put a new motor on it this year; took the motor off to have it changed from 220 to 110, and one winding was burnt out. I think we estimated it was from somewhere in the late forty's to early fifty's. That old motor weighed a ton, well at least if felt like it.

View attachment 23866
That 1000? bu grain bin ain't no spring chicken!

Something to think about. Don't be the first to acquire the new nor the last to quit the old.
This is the second time we have had any grain in one in 16 years. Once when we grew some corn on about six acres, and now. That old auger could be a little bit longer, but I'm going to use it the way it is. Maybe someday I might upgrade, but I don't think it is going to be very soon; not sure where it is on the priority list yet.

That Cat is almost 60 years old and it still has the manufacturer's logo on it, but a sledge hammer and a long pinch bar...that looks like track work. 😫😦
Bet it still purrs like a kitten too. Got an 81' model 2940 JD. As far as running goes the motor is smoother than anything else I own. Cat yellow and JD green are about the 2 most durable paint colors I know of. Factory Cat paint will wear off but thats about the only way it comes off.

Yessir, brand new undercarriage in that pic. Big job without all the high dollar equipment of the pros.
Looks like you are only half way there in the pic, I see new rails on the pallet off the other side. I like the winch on the back. I bet she is a handy old girl.

This is the second time we have had any grain in one in 16 years. Once when we grew some corn on about six acres, and now. That old auger could be a little bit longer, but I'm going to use it the way it is. Maybe someday I might upgrade, but I don't think it is going to be very soon; not sure where it is on the priority list yet.
I can agree with that, Not a lot of corn in Wyoming anyway.

Latest posts