Let's see your brand....

Help Support CattleToday:

There's 2 branded geldings on my farm that carry my dad's brand. They would be some of that last to carry the Swinging S, something my dad drew up when he was about 5.

There's something about a good crisp brand and a roached mane on a spectacular gelding, that I just really like the looks of!

Attachments

• IMG_20210430_180039784.jpg
    IMG_20210430_180039784.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 28
This E slash lazy D is my Oregon brand. It is a rib brand. It wasn't my first choice. In fact I think it was the 16th one I submitted. Oregon is requiring 3 characters. They didn't tell me that until after I had been turned down on a dozen different brands. I don't think anyone over in the state office has ever branded a calf before.
The N bar was my Washington brand. It was a hip brand. The Washington State brand department was a lot easier to deal with.

Attachments

• P5312558.JPG
    P5312558.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 6
  • P5312559.JPG
    P5312559.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 6
I hate break up this little tea party but has any one given any consideration as to what the Colorado Proposition 16 could do
with what you have posted on these pages? A brand name or emblem for product identification is perfectly acceptable and in
use world wide. The question here is how does a branding iron enhance the quality of your product. Is the value of a hide worth
more or less with a brand on it? This not one hide for a pair of vanity boots. I will add no more on the chance it would give fuel
to the promoters of Prop 16. Nostalgia can be a good thing if it does not involve unneccssary pain. Wearing a brand on a cap
is a bit different than having it applied to your butt.

I have lived in both CO and UT. Here in Utah, we use common sense. Cattle need to be branded for ID. I take no pleasure in branding but it is necessary.

Colorado is a different story. Half of the population is nuts. No offense to the guys living in CO, but I am sure they know what I am talking about.

I hate break up this little tea party but has any one given any consideration as to what the Colorado Proposition 16 could do
with what you have posted on these pages? A brand name or emblem for product identification is perfectly acceptable and in
use world wide. The question here is how does a branding iron enhance the quality of your product. Is the value of a hide worth
more or less with a brand on it? This not one hide for a pair of vanity boots. I will add no more on the chance it would give fuel
to the promoters of Prop 16. Nostalgia can be a good thing if it does not involve unneccssary pain. Wearing a brand on a cap
is a bit different than having it applied to your butt.
The bottom fell out of the hide market several years ago. Hides and wool are both basically worthless today.

A few dollars difference previously didn't pay enough for not being able to prove ownership.

With the horse market the way it is in the upper mid-west, I'm glad my geldings are branded. I doubt anyone would try, but if someone does steal one, I want to be able to track them down. I've got two nice mares on the place right now that still need to be done, just can't decide what to do on the few spot lol! Anyone that thinks branding is fuel to the fire for activists, may be right, but I think its a bigger picture issue. That bill would essentially end any domestic livestock farming and put an end to a way of life most of us enjoy.

In WI, a registered brand (current, registered with WI DTACP) is prima facie evidence of ownership, much like the title on a vehicle. Any animal sold with one SHOULD have a bill of sale.

Latest posts