Let's see em...

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm certainly not a big boy but I do get 5 digits a year in deer lease money on my land I lease out. My hunters get free rein they can kill anything the law allows. They've been with us about 10 years.
So I don't underestimate the income 😂
Just most of their opinions come from what they read, same as most with a&m. Those that live with deer know you can kill the hell out of them and in a couple years you'll never know it.
The land I don't lease me and my family kill a couple of good bucks for sport and plenty of young bucks and does for meat. I can't hardly get oats growing for all the deer.
My uncle s place is high fenced and managed. Big difference between that and a wild herd.
I think you would be surprised of the info coming out of A&M. It's tested and proven down here on these properties. They have have plenty of studies showing exactly what you and I are saying about low fence, free range deer, co-op management, etc on low fence properties.

You have to separate wildlife people from "deer people".

Most people try to apply high fence management to low fence properties and you can't do that. It's two different worlds. That's where a lot of this shoot the spikes, cull hard, 1:1 buck to doe ratios, etc. That's high fence stuff. It will do you little to no good in low fence applications and can actually hurt you in some scenarios.

A lot of that info comes from "deer people".... that are usually trying to sell something.😄

The fist year I was on this ranch there was a very big mule deer buck here. My boys got a picture of him through a 60 power spotting scope. He was every bit of 28 inches wide and 24+ inches tall. I saw him twice that year during the rut. He was the real deal. He disappeared and was never seen again. In the 4 years I have been here there have been 6 bucks shot. Three were ones taken out of the gene pool. But one winter we found the remains of 5 deer killed by cougars within 400 yards of the house. The ranch is just under 2 square miles so how many other cat kills are out there which are never found. I am pretty certain that the big buck fell victim to a cat. You can shoot an inferior buck to keep him from breeding but the cats aren't that selective.

The fist year I was on this ranch there was a very big mule deer buck here. My boys got a picture of him through a 60 power spotting scope. He was every bit of 28 inches wide and 24+ inches tall. I saw him twice that year during the rut. He was the real deal. He disappeared and was never seen again. In the 4 years I have been here there have been 6 bucks shot. Three were ones taken out of the gene pool. But one winter we found the remains of 5 deer killed by cougars within 400 yards of the house. The ranch is just under 2 square miles so how many other cat kills are out there which are never found. I am pretty certain that the big buck fell victim to a cat. You can shoot an inferior buck to keep him from breeding but the cats aren't that selective.

Do ya'll have problems with the cats getting your calves, dogs, ect? Or attacking people?

We meat hunt. Opening gun season tomorrow. We can get 1 buck and apply for 2 does.
Those pics are huge bucks.
I always try to get one and send home with my sister.
Rhode Island family will be here for a week for Thanksgiving and hunting.
I don't plan or cook any meals, other than some breakfasts. There will be about 10 or 12 family guests. I have a small house. We are wall to wall air mattresses.
I go out with all the guys hunting.

No, I purposely refrained from looking at him straight on as I figured he would bolt if I were to concentrate on him.
Sometimes the privilege of being there has to suffice and such was the case in this instance.

Okay fine it didn't happen without a picture to proof it happened. 😉😝😂🤡

We meat hunt. Opening gun season tomorrow. We can get 1 buck and apply for 2 does.
I don't plan or cook any meals, other than some breakfasts. There will be about 10 or 12 family guests. I have a small house. We are wall to wall air mattresses.
That's how it should be.

Do ya'll have problems with the cats getting your calves, dogs, ect? Or attacking people?
One neighbor lost a dog to a cat several years ago. They got hounds to track down the cat. It was old with worn out teeth. Another neighbor was going to raise meat goats. A cat ate about half of them. Again the game dept put hounds on it. It was a healthy male. When they outlawed using hounds to hunt them the population exploded. There is plenty out there but you very rarely see them. Every now and then I will see deer come running full speed off the hill across the fields and up the hill on the other side of the valley. You know there is a cat up there where they started from.

One neighbor lost a dog to a cat several years ago. They got hounds to track down the cat. It was old with worn out teeth. Another neighbor was going to raise meat goats. A cat ate about half of them. Again the game dept put hounds on it. It was a healthy male. When they outlawed using hounds to hunt them the population exploded. There is plenty out there but you very rarely see them. Every now and then I will see deer come running full speed off the hill across the fields and up the hill on the other side of the valley. You know there is a cat up there where they started from.

I saw on that mountain men where that man using them hounds to hunt cats. Why did they outlawing the hounds there.

I saw on that mountain men where that man using them hounds to hunt cats. Why did they outlawing the hounds there.
Liberals living in Seattle and Portland bought the story fed to them by the animal rights people. The USHS got it put on the ballet. The city people who don't live out in the country voted it into law. People living around here kill everyone they get a chance to. But they are pretty secretive and are rarely seen.

Is that per person Jeanne or total for the property?

Ken

Who cares kill them all. Big small old young buck doe baby.... Darn things tick me off. I've been driving around like I'm driving Miss. Daisy.
th

Latest posts