Let's see em...

Help Support CattleToday:

That's what I was told a long time ago, if you want big bucks with nice racks, you don't shoot
the mature bucks with those nice racks
1f98c.png

When I have a Landowner Preference tag which only allows me to hunt only on my own property I look for ones who need to come out of the gene pool. This year I drew an area tag. They give out 825 tags for an area close to a million acres. I hunted areas on BLM that hold some real monsters. Most of those areas get no pressure at all. It is extremely rugged and involves miles of walking on steep ground. If I were about 40 years younger I would have got one of those big ones but I did the best that I can.
The evening of the last day my son had to hunt he shot one of those little ones who needed taken out of the gene pool. That was after 7 1/2 days of hunting hard for the big one with several missed opportunities.

A mature buck has been spreading his genes around ever since he was young….
Yep, that's why this guy is on my wall, Didn't want him to die of old age. Fairly nice west coast Black Tail.

Attachments

• image0 (1).jpeg
    image0 (1).jpeg
    43.2 KB · Views: 4
Why does everyone want to kill the big one? Let the big ones live and breed. Kill the junk.
That's what I took out in bow season. One of the sorriest I have ever seen.
I am hunting this other one starting tomorrow.
We had some of those genetics a few years back and culled them hard. I don't know if he
Is that way from injury or the genetics have popped back up.

Attachments

• 1AD4212E-7FFC-493A-BD25-5BE3ADC01800.jpeg
    1AD4212E-7FFC-493A-BD25-5BE3ADC01800.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 15
  • 8149EE4F-009D-40F5-9755-76246025D5B6.jpeg
    8149EE4F-009D-40F5-9755-76246025D5B6.jpeg
    45.5 KB · Views: 15
Why does everyone want to kill the big one? Let the big ones live and breed. Kill the junk.
I prefer to take the big ones and the junk 😉

It's near impossible to change genetics by culling on a free range property. At best you are reducing the feed load in that moment. If you are the prime country in you area new deer from poor areas will just filter back in.

Here we only get one buck tag so I'm not going to let the big ones pass and take something smaller…

Also, I don't believe there is any significant impact of 'culling' in a wild deer herd. Yeah you shoot that junky buck and got him out of the herd but how many does did he breed (especially if he's a few years old) before you got to him? Probably a lot. You can't keep up. What about the 'junky' does that contribute genetically as well?

It's near impossible to change genetics by culling on a free range property. At best you are reducing the feed load in that moment. If you are the prime country in you area new deer from poor areas will just filter back in.
That's why culling free range herds does not work. You only took out 1/2 the equation and you may get another junky deer fill it's place. Compound that with how far deer travel... you better have a BIG place if you think you are shooting deer born on your property.

I don't know about that as the neighbors and have gotten together and have really worked the culls over. Now this is nearly 10k acres but we have seen a marked improvement in our good buck numbers.
Everyone is actively managing food plots and protein and we are seeing the results.
Won't work if everyone is not on board. This is getting to be a common buck.

Attachments

• 4A158C45-A5E7-4D6D-8A98-1D90FB4A4AFC.jpeg
    4A158C45-A5E7-4D6D-8A98-1D90FB4A4AFC.jpeg
    123.5 KB · Views: 14
I can't control how many doe an inferior buck has bred before I pull the trigger. I am controlling how many more he can breed. Culling for the future for 25 years now and we are seeing good results.

Who cares kill them all. Big small old young buck doe baby.... Darn things tick me off. I've been driving around like I'm driving Miss. Daisy.

I don't know about that as the neighbors and have gotten together and have really worked the culls over. Now this is nearly 10k acres but we have seen a marked improvement in our good buck numbers.
Everyone is actively managing food plots and protein and we are seeing the results.
Won't work if everyone is not on board. This is getting to be a common buck.
You will see good results managing the herd like that, especially on a block that size... co-op management I think is what they call it. If you get all scientific on it you will find that the same genetics are reaching full potential, your drawing more large bucks in, and a lot of other factors. When you actually test genetics... not much has changed. There are tons of studies on this.

I like shooting the culls just because I hate seeing that raggedy sucker eating that high dollar feed and chasing a good doe. 😄 I have the same feelings with cattle.

Last edited:
Most big deer ranches in south Texas have A&M biologist on site. All harvested deer have to be taken to their station to be weighed, measured, aged. And it better not be a young buck or you will most likely be fined.

Don't understestimate paying for leases. The big boys down here don't play that "theories on management" stuff. They have A&M come in and prove it.
I'm certainly not a big boy but I do get 5 digits a year in deer lease money on my land I lease out. My hunters get free rein they can kill anything the law allows. They've been with us about 10 years.
So I don't underestimate the income 😂
Just most of their opinions come from what they read, same as most with a&m. Those that live with deer know you can kill the hell out of them and in a couple years you'll never know it.
The land I don't lease me and my family kill a couple of good bucks for sport and plenty of young bucks and does for meat. I can't hardly get oats growing for all the deer.
My uncle s place is high fenced and managed. Big difference between that and a wild herd.

Latest posts