Let's hear some mascot names...

Help Support CattleToday:

Well, to keep things cattle related, my high school was Mountain View Toros.

Hippie Rancher might recognize that one. Went to college as a Sun Devil.

--Marc

lawnviewfarm":3mq39zkh said:
Well, to keep things cattle related, my high school was Mountain View Toros.

Hippie Rancher might recognize that one. Went to college as a Sun Devil.

--Marc
heh - thought it must be a "new" school, I didn't recognize the name, just remembered Mesa and Westwood...but I see from google it was there in the 70's - oh well who remembers the 70's? :cowboy:

TNMasterBeefProducer":3qo7kfx8 said:
csutton":3qo7kfx8 said:
Yup, Groesbeck is home of the fighting goats! All the other teams we played had normal names, I guess, except for the Cameron Yoemen. What the heck is a Yoe? :? :???:

Robinson men are the Rockets,
Robinson women are the Rockettes.

Yeoman

(Cockney english for FARMER)

Tiz obvious you have never read Geoffrey chaucer. If so you would know what a yeoman was. What did they teach you in high school english anyways? Ours must have been really advanced or something.

I had to read the Canterbury Tales and write a report on it :-(

http://www.librarius.com/cantales.htm

Many of them were servants back in the day as well

I knew what a yoeman was, I just didn't figure it would be meaningful in Central Texas, like Vikings, or Pirates would be...

Was driving back from Seguin yesterday, and we had to make a pit stop in Taylor, Noticed they had a glass case with football trophies and such at the McD's there. Appearantly their mascot is the Duck, or at least thats what it said on the helmet.

up&comingvet":907d227x said:
There's a school in Corpus with named the Sandcrabs

Sounds like something you would infect your opponent with .

TexasBred":374v61ej said:
The Savannah, Georgia minor league baseball team is called the "Sandfleas".

Speakin' of baseball, there is a little league team in Round Rock, TX called the
"Round Rock Lugnuts".

The school was mascot was

"Chief Kahok"

they have done away with the indian dancing as to not offend native americans.
I have a fair amount of native blood and was never offended, but you know how that goes. I do not know why its spelled Kahoks (with a K), when the Cahokian Indians were the tribe near by. Think they called us the "mighty Kahoks"

Donna

Yes, our local teams are the Alvarado Indians and I saw where someone had posted something on the net about it being offensive. Then there are the Southeastern Oklahoma State University Savages. Ups the ante a little. My husband's alma mater.

per my earlier post, an ORAB stands for Orange and Black. They don't have a mascot exactly.

donnaIL":j1ee0o33 said:
The school was mascot was

"Chief Kahok"

they have done away with the indian dancing as to not offend native americans.
I have a fair amount of native blood and was never offended, but you know how that goes. I do not know why its spelled Kahoks (with a K), when the Cahokian Indians were the tribe near by. Think they called us the "mighty Kahoks"

Donna
Southeast Missouri State men's teams were the Indians, women were the Otahkians (sp.), band the Golden Eagles. ? Since the Indian names were allegedly offensive, they are now the Red Hawks.

One small school here in Texas dropped their mascot name completely because it was an indian name. The indians loved it but some of the drive by's threated to sue. The few indian mascots you see now are the Washington Redskins and Florida State Seminoles and they both have the money to go to court if necessary. I have native american blood as well and I take pride in schools using indian names.