lethargic, droopy eared calf

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Hi, I have a 5 month old calf that is majorly lethargic and very droopy. He still has a wet nose, doesn't have diahrea, doesn't appear to have any trama. I saw him nurse once and drink water once today. What is wrong with this little guy? I have a call into the vet...but that has been 4 more calls and 5 hours ago...any suggestions?

dun

Reaction score
If you haven't already, take it's temp. If the vet doeasn't get back to you or even if he/she does, at least you'll have a starting point

dun

Anonymous":o2t8hog2 said:
Hi, I have a 5 month old calf that is majorly lethargic and very droopy. He still has a wet nose, doesn't have diahrea, doesn't appear to have any trama. I saw him nurse once and drink water once today. What is wrong with this little guy? I have a call into the vet...but that has been 4 more calls and 5 hours ago...any suggestions?

cherokeeruby

Reaction score
If the calf is five months old it could be an infection it picked up through it navel at birth showing up now. Father-in-law once had a calf die of pericarditis (inflamation of the sack surrounding the heart). Vet said that the infection is contracted through the umbilicus.

OP
A

Anonymous

Hey, thanks for the advice, I did finally get ahold of the vet...she gave me a shot of Mycotil, Flunic, and B vitamin for him. She guessed that he had some major infection...maybe pneumonia cause of all the ups and downs in our temperatures lately. So when I checked him last night he was up eating, and this morning he looks as chipper as always! Thanks all.

Latest posts