Lethargic Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

jessicanw1989

Reaction score
Hi! We have a calf that is very lethargic & he hangs his head down! He also is limping on his front left leg ( it looks inflammed & swollen), and he also is going bald between his ears and down his neck about 6 inches. The balding area looks like leather, but isn't cracking or dry! If you have any insight to this issue at all..PLEASE HELP!

How old is the calf?

My first thoughts would be either joint ill (from a navel infection) or a broken leg. Joint ill would explain lethargy, needs antibiotics if you want to save the calf.
Balding area could be lice, contact with chemical, spilled milk... a photo would help, but for real advice you should probably have a vet examine the calf.
Check the navel if you haven't already done so - a swollen inflamed navel will confirm joint ill.

We are now thinking it's mange - still not sure about the leg thing! Some people think it's lightning strike on it's leg! Not sure if that's possible?! I would have thought a lightning strike would kill him.

More likely a lightning kick from mum or another cow.

Vet will tell you if it is mange and have something that will clear it up. Careful as mange in animals is scabies in people.

Temperature of the calf is _______ ?

Reason I ask is that the loss of hair around the ears is "typically" an indication of a high grade fever... sounding like anti-biotics would be in order.

How old is the calf?