Let the fight begin!

Help Support CattleToday:

Looks good to me. If it goes on a hotdog, no beans allowed. If you eat it out of a bowl, beans and tomatoes are required and chickpeas are allowed. Onions and peppers required either way. Use a bbq rub for seasoning in addition to chili powder.
I finaaly deciphered the recipe for The Varsity's chilli and that is what I make for chilli-slaw dogs. No beans or chunks. For my "eating chili" the one I use for cook-offs etc. I use ground certified angus beef, 4 kinds of onion, 4 colors of bell peppers, cut in big chunks, and one cam of the tomatoes will be Kroger brand sweet italian. I use 2 kinds of beans..Chilli-Mac mild and Bush's mild chilli beans. I have used ground venison, bison, and lamb instead of, or along with, ground beef. CAB ground beef that is. :)

But you can put beans in chili . Some of you folks eat okra and grits. 🤮🤮
You can. I can't.
You put anything in it, just as you can put anything in a pot, add some chili powder and call it chili.
Some folks think sticking a feather in their hat turns it into macaroni....and makes them 'fashionable'.

You can. I can't.
You put anything in it, just as you can put anything in a pot, add some chili powder and call it chili.
Some folks think sticking a feather in their hat turns it into macaroni....and makes them 'fashionable'.
Kinda like you Navy guys do spaghetti huh? I dated this gal in the late 70's whose dad was Navy. He was a cook on the Nimitz. That joker would make spaghetti and put raisins, hot dogs, carrots, peanuts...just a few of things he said he put in it. I never would even try it when he cooked it at their house!

You can. I can't.
Reminds me of people that wear designer jeans with holes in them. Maybe they are trying to make folks think that they are hard working people?

I finaaly deciphered the recipe for The Varsity's chilli and that is what I make for chilli-slaw dogs. No beans or chunks. For my "eating chili" the one I use for cook-offs etc. I use ground certified angus beef, 4 kinds of onion, 4 colors of bell peppers, cut in big chunks, and one cam of the tomatoes will be Kroger brand sweet italian. I use 2 kinds of beans..Chilli-Mac mild and Bush's mild chilli beans. I have used ground venison, bison, and lamb instead of, or along with, ground beef. CAB ground beef that is. :)
You care to share the recipe for your chili-slaw dog chili?

I'm learning alot from this thread about how different parts of the country eat.
For me:
Beans belong in chili along with ground beef
Sugar does not belong in cornbread
Pineapple and pepperoni is fine on a pizza, especially pepperoni
I love grits and I like okra, grits are supposed to have salt, pepper and cheese, maybe some eggs in them or shrimp, not sugar unless eating it as a dessert.
I'll eat okra fried, boiled and pickled
never heard of raisins, carrots or peanuts in spaghetti, sounds disgusting, used to have cajun neighbors that put hot dogs in it

I told my when she was making chili about what some folks on here thought about beans and so forth in chili.
It didn't change her. She said she was Mexican and she put beans in her chili.
Actually she puts several kinds of beans depending on what she has.
Her usual ingredients are ground beef, chopped onions, different colors of bell peppers, jalapeños, tomatoes or Ro-Tel,
Kidney beans, black beans, sometimes pinto or white beans too.
She won a chili cook off at our local farmers market. She credits the white beans in that batch for winning it because the locals probably visually noticed that while sampling.
She also serves it with sour cream and cheese.

Where my son-in-law grew up in Indiana he ate Cincinnati-Style chili. Little or no heat seasoned with cinnamon poured over spaghetti. I guess everyone has their own version of chili but, for me, chili needs to include lots of red chile with an "e".

I'm learning alot from this thread about how different parts of the country eat.
For me:
Beans belong in chili along with ground beef
Sugar does not belong in cornbread
Pineapple and pepperoni is fine on a pizza, especially pepperoni
I love grits and I like okra, grits are supposed to have salt, pepper and cheese, maybe some eggs in them or shrimp, not sugar unless eating it as a dessert.
I'll eat okra fried, boiled and pickled
never heard of raisins, carrots or peanuts in spaghetti, sounds disgusting, used to have cajun neighbors that put hot dogs in it
Food is to be enjoyed. Who cares what is "right" as long as we can appreciate what we eat.

In that regard, pineapple is great on oven baked ham but not on pizza, pepperoni is how pizza is made, grits are meh, and okra is amazing... especially pickled. Raisins, carrots, and peanuts are all fine in their place, but in spaghetti sauce they are verboten.

And the argument about whether chili has beans or not is ridiculous. It's great either way...

Latest posts