Let me introduce myself

Help Support CattleToday:

CFC, Sounds like you already have a lot going for you since you have worked well in the construction business. Wow, what an opportunity to be able to move where you are going. Talk about dreams! In my mind, you hit the jackpot. Sounds like a nice piece of land to get started on. Iron Pants can work on the plans of a house that she has always wanted.
I already know you don't mind hard work since you are in the construction business. Just be sure that you like messing with the cattle. I would start out small for the first year. Starting off from the beginning will cost a dollar to two. Buy a few head to see if you like messing with them. Be sure to find a positive minded person for help in the beginning. Someone that can help you and you in return, can help him. Negative people make things worse than what they are. Be sure to see if you like messing with the cattle. They are big and extremely strong, and not often do you have to catch to vaccinate and doctor them, but it will happen. Feeding is a good time to check your cattle each day. If you dread going out to tend a few, then it will get really bad when your herd grows. So a few will be a sort of themometer to see where you stand.
Your Extension Agent in your county is a good person to get in contact with. If he is a good one, he will have a lot of good ideas to help you get started in the right direction as far as getting set up. Such as dimensions of work areas, storage of hay or sileage, etc..... It is easy to put money into something that doesn't work that well if you aren't familiar with it. Been there, done that too.
I can't think of a better place to raise two boys. Being taught to drive a tractor and make them feel the work couldn't have been done without them is a sure confidence builder. It teaches them to get in and pull their load. I see a big difference in a kid that has been given responsibilities vs those that never lift a finger other than to press a button on the TV remote or a video game. I loved it when I was a kid and I still do. It gets in your blood. Keep us informed on how things go and I hope your plans work out the way you want.

Central Fl Cracker":m6al0f5t said:
After lurking for 1 month I figure it is time to come out of the closet( no I am not Gay ). I am a 50 year old man that has decided it is time to slow down and smell the the roses. I have been a V.P. in a Construction company that has built projects in Ga., Ms.,Mo., Tn., Ar., De., Tx., Co., Ka., Fl., and some other states. I have been married for 23 years to IronPants( My wife ) and have twin 13 year old boys ( Manson Twins my brother's nickname). I have worked my ass off since I was 16 year olds and have done well in the Construction Industry but I have traveled and spent most my time in motels instead being Home with my Family.
I now have the oppurtunity to move out on 150 acres and build a house on the property That once belonged to My wifes Family. My Mother in law has been leasing the property to a hay company and a cattle rancher.
I know nothing about CATTLE but figured I can learn with some mistakes and people from this board since My income is from the Construction Biz and not the cattle Biz.

The property is fenced and I would like some info on getting started. I do have a few friends in the cattle biz and they suggested on buying a few bred herefords and start from there.
I am not stupid and realize that this will not make me near the money I am making in the Construction Ind, but My Kids will get such a better Education from the Ranching experience.
I will be hitting up Flboy with some mentoring since he lives about 40 miles from me.

CFC, The big thing to learn about cattle is that when you are in the cattle business you are in the "FOOD" business. The race is on to put a better piece of beef on the table. Pork and chicken are our competitors, treat it as such. If you are getting in the business to play around with, please don't, we have enough people raising inferior beef. JMHO

MikeC":13xob5zz said:
Central Fl Cracker":13xob5zz said:
If you are getting in the business to play around with, please don't, we have enough people raising inferior beef. JMHO

MikeC
Don't worry about me just playing around with cattle and I noticed you are posting in the beginners section so I bet you are a big cattle rancher. LOL

Central Fl Cracker":3isrkb5f said:
MikeC":3isrkb5f said:
Central Fl Cracker":3isrkb5f said:
If you are getting in the business to play around with, please don't, we have enough people raising inferior beef. JMHO

MikeC
Don't worry about me just playing around with cattle and I noticed you are posting in the beginners section so I bet you are a big cattle rancher. LOL
Believe it or not I've been a beginner since 1959. I'm not that big a rancher though, I'm 6' and weigh 200. Not a chance of ME worrying about someone who cannot accept advice after asking. :roll:

Quote "If you are getting in the business to play around with, please don't, we have enough people raising inferior beef. JMHO Quote
I love getting information especially from guys like yourself that have alot of experience. I just Thought your little snide comment about people playing around in the cattle biz was a
little sarcastic since most people that are here are probably new at this. Sorry if I offended you and I wish I was 6 foot 200 because I am 6" 2' 260. Please don't ask me what my birth weight was. :lol:

Central Fl Cracker":2pp04ums said:
Quote "If you are getting in the business to play around with, please don't, we have enough people raising inferior beef. JMHO Quote
I love getting information especially from guys like yourself that have alot of experience. I just Thought your little snide comment about people playing around in the cattle biz was a
little sarcastic since most people that are here are probably new at this. Sorry if I offended you and I wish I was 6 foot 200 because I am 6" 2' 260. Please don't ask me what my birth weight was. :lol:

No offense taken. If everyone in the beginners board was a novice, who would you get advice from. ;-) My statement still stands, produce good cattle and they will make you proud!

MikeC":np56pb6x said:
The big thing to learn about cattle is that when you are in the cattle business you are in the "FOOD" business. The race is on to put a better piece of beef on the table. Pork and chicken are our competitors, treat it as such. If you are getting in the business to play around with, please don't, we have enough people raising inferior beef. JMHO
Mike, that is a terrific post! I couldn't agree more! Too many people just don't understand that the cattle business isn't a toy and it's not a game to play. Thanks for having the balls to say it!

Texan":191vcwo1 said:
MikeC":191vcwo1 said:
The big thing to learn about cattle is that when you are in the cattle business you are in the "FOOD" business. The race is on to put a better piece of beef on the table. Pork and chicken are our competitors, treat it as such. If you are getting in the business to play around with, please don't, we have enough people raising inferior beef. JMHO
Mike, that is a terrific post! I couldn't agree more! Too many people just don't understand that the cattle business isn't a toy and it's not a game to play. Thanks for having the balls to say it!

Glad you agree! Wish more hobby cattlemen would. ;-)

Latest posts