Let it slide?

Help Support CattleToday:

Should we let them continue to put down others or call them on it?

• Let them get away with it, ignore it and it will just go away

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Call them on it when they start up in a post

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Bret":3ku5vvep said:
When I enter the corral or the pasture, I look where I step when I have my new boots on.

When I have my chore boots on, I like to kick cow piles over to see what's under them or to see what they are made of. Seems like I usually get a little on me.

When I turn it at night I reflect on what I saw that day. Some times I contemplate the kicks I got during the day and how many boots just quietly stepped over me.

Very good response! :)

J":2597vmop said:
What should we do about those few that ruin this board for others? Mainly talking down to and belittling others because someone isn't as much of a "cattleman" as they claim to be.

J, I've been thinking about your question for quite a while now and I'm wondering what is wrong with simply accepting the fact that people are people? Some are diplomatic, some are not, some are patient and others are not, some can say things in the 'proper' way and others just state it flat out, some people never have a bad day nor get passionate about anything, but that is not the case for others. Simply because someone does not state things in a manner you or I (or anyone else for that matter) finds "acceptable" does not make them wrong, useless, mean-spirited, abrasive, or anything else for that matter. Life is about diversity and obstacles and, sooner or later, every one of us is going to have to deal with the tell-it-like-is person - whether it is a boss, co-worker, client, neighbor, parent, in-law, or whatever. How about putting yourself in that person's shoes and trying to understand where they are coming from, rather than judging them (I know - I've done it, too)? Every last one of us joined this board out of a love of cattle - be that a desire to learn , help, simply talk about cattle, or some combination of all of the above. Because of that I think it is up to each one of us to read the responses, take what we can use from them, and ignore the rest. This board was here long before you or I became members and it will be long after you or I have left. Just my thoughts.

msscamp":nxrbfvd8 said:
J":nxrbfvd8 said:
What should we do about those few that ruin this board for others? Mainly talking down to and belittling others because someone isn't as much of a "cattleman" as they claim to be.

J, I've been thinking about your question for quite a while now and I'm wondering what is wrong with simply accepting the fact that people are people? Some are diplomatic, some are not, some are patient and others are not, some can say things in the 'proper' way and others just state it flat out, some people never have a bad day nor get passionate about anything, but that is not the case for others. Simply because someone does not state things in a manner you or I (or anyone else for that matter) finds "acceptable" does not make them wrong, useless, mean-spirited, abrasive, or anything else for that matter. Life is about diversity and obstacles and, sooner or later, every one of us is going to have to deal with the tell-it-like-is person - whether it is a boss, co-worker, client, neighbor, parent, in-law, or whatever. How about putting yourself in that person's shoes and trying to understand where they are coming from, rather than judging them (I know - I've done it, too)? Every last one of us joined this board out of a love of cattle - be that a desire to learn , help, simply talk about cattle, or some combination of all of the above. Because of that I think it is up to each one of us to read the responses, take what we can use from them, and ignore the rest. This board was here long before you or I became members and it will be long after you or I have left. Just my thoughts.

Good Post! :clap:

aplusmnt":121x4psd said:
msscamp":121x4psd said:
J":121x4psd said:

Agreed :clap: :clap: :)

msscamp":3baqrj5p said:
J":3baqrj5p said:

well msscamp - as usual you are spot on.

What folks tend to forget is "tone" can be imagined. Tone is tough to figure when you read words and have no voice to go along with it.

I can can someone a *&^%%^$^ and say it with a smile and the person knows what I mean. If I say it here and mean the same thing the reciever can - and rightfully so - get ticked off.

I have been called direct and I have been told I am diplomatic. I all truth I am somewhere in the middle.

Seems some are tender when they get a response they do not like.

I figure that when I am in the mood to fight back I will. When I am not I simply move on.

Best to all,

Bez!

I don't have a problem with people that say what's exactly on their mind. As a matter of fact I like that in a person. I've never said we should all try and sugar coat our responses so as not to step on anybodies toes, but what I do not like and do not tolerate in my real life (not the internet) is someone that "talks down" to others, especially when they are just trying to learn from them. When someone posts a picture of a BAD animal, then they need to be told that it's bad and why. Not responses like, "that bull is crap". Now if you put the bull is crap and explain why, then I don't really have a problem with that. I just think there are a few here that enjoy giving it too the new guy just because they might not have the experience of the old know-it-all.

Personally I could care less what most people think about me or my animals, however I do like to hear opinions and ways I could do better.

Miss Daisy":206npcrw said:
aplusmnt":206npcrw said:
msscamp":206npcrw said:
J":206npcrw said:

Agreed :clap: :clap: :)

:nod: :clap: :clap:

man a good but loaded question got asked.i try as best i can to let things slide as best i can.but heres something i forget we do not always know the age of those that blast us.they could be kids young ppl middled aged or older people.no 1 knows unless something is said.an heres another thing some of us here could be dissabled an get around slow or have other health probs.i try to never jump on ppl here for the qs that they ask.an i sure as heck try to never make fun of any1 or the cattle they raise or way that they do things.bottomline is this fights an wars here ruin this board.i say things straight out an dont sugar coat it.but it sure isnt said with mean or hurtful intent.

bigbull338":3k8698a8 said:
man a good but loaded question got asked.i try as best i can to let things slide as best i can.but heres something i forget we do not always know the age of those that blast us.they could be kids young ppl middled aged or older people.no 1 knows unless something is said.an heres another thing some of us here could be dissabled an get around slow or have other health probs.i try to never jump on ppl here for the qs that they ask.an i sure as heck try to never make fun of any1 or the cattle they raise or way that they do things.bottomline is this fights an wars here ruin this board.i say things straight out an dont sugar coat it.but it sure isnt said with mean or hurtful intent.

And thats exactly the way it should be.

Guessing all threads are posted with the intent of making better cattle.

But this is a favorite of mine. "What do you think of my bull". On a clearly bad bull responses range from:
1. You could do better.
2. If it works for you....
2. Needs work on it's topline.
3. Don't like XZY.
4. EPD's aren't good.
5. Man that's a POS!

All the comments may be "Telling it like it is", but which will help the person improve their herd? And which create a conversation that ultimately ends up demeaning the poster?
CW