Lesson Learned - Dumb Escape Artist

Help Support CattleToday:

Walking W

Reaction score
Grain feeding for freezer beef. About 30 days in and feeding 18 lb/day of a mixed whole corn/12% sweet feed with hay available to a 900 lb Charolais heifer.
Had to go out f town for 4 days but have a home-made automatic feeder that feeds 9 lbs 2-times per day.
Isolated the heifer where the water , hay and feed trough are located. Checked to make sure everything works.
Auto water fill- check
Auto feeder working - check and double check
about 10 days of feed in the feeder - check
plenty of standing forage available - check
Electric fence working - ouch - check
Came home tonight and the heifer was nowhere in sight and the feed trough had about 60 lbs of grain mixture piled up in it.
Looked everywhere- it was pitch dark- no heifer where she should have been.
Started checking fence line for breaks - no breaks and gates secure.
Finally looked in the other pasture - sure enough, there she was.
She was smart enough to cross the electric fence(probably to visit the neighbors and talk shop across the fence. I assumed the electric fence would keep her contained. It always had before.
She was too smart to go back across the fence to get to hay/grain and especially water. I assumed water and food would be a great motivator.
She was very thirsty and worked on the 6 lbs of grain mixture that I left for her.
You just can't motivate dumb. All the automation in the world cannot overcome dumb. By dumb, I mean me since she is just doing what come naturally.
I guess I'm starting over getting her up to speed on grain. I'll try to not be so dumb in the future.

Grain feeding for freezer beef. About 30 days in and feeding 18 lb/day of a mixed whole corn/12% sweet feed with hay available to a 900 lb Charolais heifer.
Had to go out f town for 4 days but have a home-made automatic feeder that feeds 9 lbs 2-times per day.
Isolated the heifer where the water , hay and feed trough are located. Checked to make sure everything works.
Auto water fill- check
Auto feeder working - check and double check
about 10 days of feed in the feeder - check
plenty of standing forage available - check
Electric fence working - ouch - check
Came home tonight and the heifer was nowhere in sight and the feed trough had about 60 lbs of grain mixture piled up in it.
Looked everywhere- it was pitch dark- no heifer where she should have been.
Started checking fence line for breaks - no breaks and gates secure.
Finally looked in the other pasture - sure enough, there she was.
She was smart enough to cross the electric fence(probably to visit the neighbors and talk shop across the fence. I assumed the electric fence would keep her contained. It always had before.
She was too smart to go back across the fence to get to hay/grain and especially water. I assumed water and food would be a great motivator.
She was very thirsty and worked on the 6 lbs of grain mixture that I left for her.
You just can't motivate dumb. All the automation in the world cannot overcome dumb. By dumb, I mean me since she is just doing what come naturally.
I guess I'm starting over getting her up to speed on grain. I'll try to not be so dumb in the future.

She's not eating now. I can't even get her to eat sweet feed. She was without water for 4 days. She also went from 18 lbs/day of grain mixture to whatever she could get from standing forage suddenly. Upset stomach? Getting probiotics today to see if it will help. I need to get her back on feed because she has a date with the processor March 7th.

She's not eating now. I can't even get her to eat sweet feed. She was without water for 4 days. She also went from 18 lbs/day of grain mixture to whatever she could get from standing forage suddenly. Upset stomach? Getting probiotics today to see if it will help. I need to get her back on feed because she has a date with the processor March 7th.
I'm curious, does she grind her teeth. I had a calve that bloated; after that was taken care of she started grinding her teeth, and the vet said that the reason was because her stomach hurt. That was something I didn't know, but then I am still learning about cows.

Yes. Teeth grinding is a sign of pain. Also a hunger sign. Is she eating hay? Drinking water?
I wouldn't think a few days would have hurt her too much. The lack of water issue maybe...

It may take a few days to get straight again.

Thanks for the thoughts. She never did grind her teeth but did go straight to water when I finally got her to the right enclosure. She also went right to eating hay just not grain. Since then, I added probiotics to 12% sweet feed for two days. She seems fine now and would eat a lot more than I want to give her. I am starting back with about 9 lb/day of my grain mixture and will add 1.5 lbs/day every few days until I get her back to 18 lb/day.

Latest posts