less than week old bull calf

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
friend of mine just called and said he's been offered a less than week old Angus bull calf whose mama died. I've never raised a calf like this so I told him I'd ask y'all. How often does he need to bottle feed and how much a day? Also, how long until he can start on grass or grain?

Thanks

Alice is an expert on this so maybe she'll correct everything I say that is wrong. Its a job. When I've done it I bottle fed them twice a day. In the beginning, I mix the milk replacer just like the directions say but I cut out about a pint or so of the water. It seems this helps cut down on the scours. I also take a little sweet feed and put it in their mouth just so they can get a taste of it. Usually after I have fed a bag of replacer the calf will start to eat on its on pretty good. I'll sometimes pour a little of the powdered milk on the sweet feed as well. Some calves are easy but some are hard to break from the bottle. Hope this helps.

Jogeephus":1rzbebwx said:
Alice is an expert on this so maybe she'll correct everything I say that is wrong. Its a job. When I've done it I bottle fed them twice a day. In the beginning, I mix the milk replacer just like the directions say but I cut out about a pint or so of the water. It seems this helps cut down on the scours. I also take a little sweet feed and put it in their mouth just so they can get a taste of it. Usually after I have fed a bag of replacer the calf will start to eat on its on pretty good. I'll sometimes pour a little of the powdered milk on the sweet feed as well. Some calves are easy but some are hard to break from the bottle. Hope this helps.

What Jogee said. I never had much luck getting them on a bucket. I enjoyed it, feeding a nice free calf is a pleasure, and one bag of good replacer is well worth it. Just dont get too attached! :lol:

You will need to feed it milk by bottle ideally for 3months. The feeding are twice daily with powdered milk from your local coop or farm supply store. In the barn you have the calf penned up, always have high quality hay, fresh water, and calf starter feed available for it. Keep it sheltered in this wonderful weather we are having.
I have seen calves take to grain,hay, and water within just a couple of weeks, but they still need their milk. Just think of the calf and the momma cow in the field. The mooma has her head doen eatting pasture and the calf attempts to imitated the same.

If you need any help depending on where you are in Tennessee I would be happy to.

another word of advice buy some scour boluses about 3 or 4 i have never raised one without using them. they are worth 2 or 3 dollars and just push them down their throat.

Latest posts