lepto

Help Support CattleToday:

jt

Reaction score
i have a neighbor being hit with this pretty bad right now, and it has raised some questions in my mind..

vet told her that any bred cow that had it now.. that there was not any thing she could do for that cow to get rid of the lepto.. only thing was to vacinate it and get that cow on the right track for the next calf. she was told that you cant get rid of the lepto, just try to keep it in check.. if all this is true, then it really emphasizes the importance of vaccinations.

she has had several cows abort and also had a 2 weeks old calf die, and just prior to dying he was urinating almost pure blood. vet said that was most likely lepto too.. ?? the calf died before the abortions started and she didnt get the vet to look at it.. she has had a closed herd for i know of over 2 years, and has never had this kind of problem in over 30 years.

i was reading an angus publication just last week and it said there is now another strain of lepto out that the 5 way does not prevent.. it is hardjo bovis or something like that. it requires a special vaccine.. how many of you are vacinating for it?

i would like to hear some of ya'lls comments on lepto..

thanks

jt

I thought the lepto vaccine was good for all the different strains.

Just working from memory. I think that the Lepto vaccine covers about 5 different strains. I know that there is a disease in our area, that many think is a strain of lepto that there is no vaccine for. A closed herd is not prevention against lepto as I believe it can be spread from coyotes and is contracted from drinking contaminated water. Again this is just me working from memory.

A few locals ended with a bunch of still borns last year. They figured it to be lepto from drinking out of a pond. I helped them vaccinate and reduced the problem for this year, but it didn't completely go away.

Cattle Rack Rancher":34b77ht0 said:

Just working from memory. I think that the Lepto vaccine covers about 5 different strains. I know that there is a disease in our area, that many think is a strain of lepto that there is no vaccine for. A closed herd is not prevention against lepto as I believe it can be spread from coyotes and is contracted from drinking contaminated water. Again this is just me working from memory.

crr i think you are correct. according to the article in the angus paper (which i gave to my neighbor) there are many strains of lepto, and up until recently, only 5 that were of concern in the US.. now there is a 6th one.

there is a separate vaccine for it according to the article.. something like sporvec??? cant remember now, but it started with an S :lol: some of the angus people on this board might still have the paper and can look to it and get the name of that vaccine. i dont have the paper any more.

and best i understand, lepto thrives on moist conditions and is contracted from animal to animal and thru drinking water from ponds that are affected.

jt

jt":2hjgttv7 said:
Cattle Rack Rancher":2hjgttv7 said:

crr i think you are correct. according to the article in the angus paper (which i gave to my neighbor) there are many strains of lepto, and up until recently, only 5 that were of concern in the US.. now there is a 6th one.

there is a separate vaccine for it according to the article.. something like sporvec??? cant remember now, but it started with an S :lol: some of the angus people on this board might still have the paper and can look to it and get the name of that vaccine. i dont have the paper any more.

and best i understand, lepto thrives on moist conditions and is contracted from animal to animal and thru drinking water from ponds that are affected.

jt

From an add in cow-calf weekly:

Spirovac.® The only protection against hardjo-bovis.™
Spirovac prevents lepto hardjo-bovis shedding, transmission and infection. It delivers strong placental and fetal protection; can safely be used in pregnant cows and calves as young as four weeks of age; has proven cell-mediated immunity; and offers a full 12 months of protection.
http://www.spirovac.com

jt":26hfai31 said:
Cattle Rack Rancher":26hfai31 said:

jt

Neospora causes abortions and is spread by canines through the feces.

jt":294arlzf said:
how many of you are vacinating for it?
JT, I'm not vaccinating for the hardjo-bovis but might should be. All I know about it is pretty much what I've heard from Pfizer. I'm always kinda skeptical of spending more money on something new at the urging of one of the companies that has the solution.

That said, if a person has a problem with it, vaccination is the smart thing to do. I just haven't been convinced of a problem yet for me. And the additional cost of over $2/hd is a little steep for me. Not to mention the booster process the first year that requires a second dose in 4 to 6 weeks. That's too much cow penning for me if I don't have to.

If Pfizer would take out the Leptos that I don't need in my Cattlemaster 4 + VL5 and put that one in, I might be more inclined to vaccinate for it. But at an additional $2.15/hd, I think I'm gonna wait until I have a diagnosis.

Texan":vd1blxji said:
jt":vd1blxji said:
how many of you are vacinating for it?
JT, I'm not vaccinating for the hardjo-bovis but might should be. All I know about it is pretty much what I've heard from Pfizer. I'm always kinda skeptical of spending more money on something new at the urging of one of the companies that has the solution.

That said, if a person has a problem with it, vaccination is the smart thing to do. I just haven't been convinced of a problem yet for me. And the additional cost of over $2/hd is a little steep for me. Not to mention the booster process the first year that requires a second dose in 4 to 6 weeks. That's too much cow penning for me if I don't have to.

If Pfizer would take out the Leptos that I don't need in my Cattlemaster 4 + VL5 and put that one in, I might be more inclined to vaccinate for it. But at an additional $2.15/hd, I think I'm gonna wait until I have a diagnosis.

yep, and i am not saying whether you should or shoudnt.. and i am not sure that it was a vaccine company that wrote that ad... it was just an ad in the angus paper... it did list several states that was having problems with hardjo bovis and if i remember correctly texas was one of them.

it shouldnt require any extra penning except for the booster the first year, and i would doubt pfizer taking any leptos out, it covers the 5 most likely to be found in the US... best case would be for the vaccine to be made into a 6 way..

i was just trying to find out what some of you know about this... up until a couple of days ago, i had never heard of it.

the main thing i was interested in with the original post was what could be done for a cow that had lepto... sounds like nothing, except hope for the best with that pregnancy and vacinate for the future??

thanks

jt

Latest posts