Lepto

Help Support CattleToday:

cfpinz

Reaction score
Anyone here had any success keeping a cow after she has a lepto-induced abortion? We've always sold every cow in the past but last year we had a second-calver to abort a couple months early that we really liked. Pulled blood on her and it came back pos for Lepto Hardjo Bovis. We decided to keep her for sentimental reasons and give her another shot. Vaccinated her as normal and she aborted again today, about 2 months early. She (and the bull) will be heading down the road in about 4 hours. We very rarely have any lepto abortions, in fact she was the first in three years.

Don;t you vaccinate for hardjo as part of your normal vaccinations?

dun":3pyra90r said:
Don;t you vaccinate for hardjo as part of your normal vaccinations?

We use Cattlemaster 4VL5, which does not cover Hardjo Bovis. We talked with a well-respected faculty member from Virginia Tech about it and he said he hasn't seen where any of the newer drugs directed towards that strain have any effectiveness.

Must be like the elephant repellent. We've used it since it became available and not had a problem. But we might not have if we hadn;t used it. From talking with the vet, about 4 years ago there was a real problem with it in this area.

Must be like the elephant repellent. We've used it since it became available and not had a problem

They say that if you put lion poo on your lawn the dogs of the neighbourhood won't poo on your lawn. The reverse must also be true since no lion has ever poo'd on my lawn

Had a similar problem several years back.Came from using killed virus combiation drug which wasn't given second time in 3 weeks as recommended (we think). Went back to 5-way lepto given as recommended and gave booster in 6 months. We are vaccinating every six months for a while.So far everything is good.

We had one abort a calf last year in the spring, never found the fetus but the cow was blood tested and had the hardjo-bovis strain present. She had been given the Virashield 6 VL5 somnus. We culled her. Later on we had a heifer slip one at about 7 months found the fetus and had it tested, but no positive results. Vet suspected he was previously infected before she got her booster shot, we went to VS 6 VL Somnus HB. We rebred that heifer and she has 3 month calf on her, although it had contracted tendons when born, made me wonder if the heifer had a problem but all is well now.

After researching the hardjo-bovis strain of lepto, they say it is the most common form of abortion in cattle. Last year when we looked there ware only 2 companies that made a vaccine including that strain.

KNERSIE":12vza3tc said:
Must be like the elephant repellent. We've used it since it became available and not had a problem

They say that if you put lion poo on your lawn the dogs of the neighbourhood won't poo on your lawn. The reverse must also be true since no lion has ever poo'd on my lawn
:lol2: :lol2:

TNMasterBeefProducer":364g2sjr said:
tom4018":364g2sjr said:
We had one abort a calf last year in the spring, never found the fetus but the cow was blood tested and had the hardjo-bovis strain present. She had been given the Virashield 6 VL5 somnus. We culled her. Later on we had a heifer slip one at about 7 months found the fetus and had it tested, but no positive results. Vet suspected he was previously infected before she got her booster shot, we went to VS 6 VL Somnus HB. We rebred that heifer and she has 3 month calf on her, although it had contracted tendons when born, made me wonder if the heifer had a problem but all is well now.

After researching the hardjo-bovis strain of lepto, they say it is the most common form of abortion in cattle. Last year when we looked there ware only 2 companies that made a vaccine including that strain.

Can you name the other company because I have looked around and the only one I have found is Novartis Virashield 6 vaccines.
http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html ... 99927301ae