Lepto in people

Help Support CattleToday:

SmokinM

Reaction score
I put this in m5 thread first then decided that wasn't right. That is for his support but wanted to get this out here as a lot of us have had flooding recently and this is something that if it happens to you your Dr. will not likely be aware of.

. An FYI for all those with cattle in flood areas. I have found myself in an interesting situation of battling leptosporosis. People apparently can get it from mud and flood water around cattle ground. Had a big rain here a few weeks ago and I got out in my pond to do some repairs,never thought about it. Fast forward to this week all the sudden unexplained 100+ degree fever. No other symptoms. My 3rd day now of fever and sweats hoping antibiotics kick in soon but this stuff is no joke. Can take a month or so to incubate. Luckily my wife is a physician and part bulldog or I would not have diagnosis or treatment. This stuff gets bad in a hurry. Wanted all to know stay safe and sometimes danger stays longer than you think.

TCRanch":2auv8idm said:
Good to know, thanks for the PSA but that's scary! How do you actually get it? Do you have to have an open wound or the contaminated water gets in your eyes or mouth by mistake?

TC, I think it is mostly oral ingestion of the organism.

Ken

Thanks all,fever finally pretty much broke this afternoon. Glad the antibiotics are working.

TC yes ingestion or open wound. In my case I jumped in with shorts on and walking back and forth the flooded marsh grass scratched my legs up pretty good. Won't do that again!!