Length of a bull

Help Support CattleToday:

boone

Reaction score
I've often heard the bulls being referred to as "having good length" or some variation. Between breeds, has anyone actually compared the length from say the tail head to the ears? How much difference from animal to animal do you think there would be? If there is significant variance, wouldn't this be a valuable number to add to our current list of EPDs? Tell me what you think. It's raining and I'm bored. Boone

MikeC":qfb88kzz said:
On "BULL" length from LSU Veterinary School:

"An adequate length for a bull's penis is that it should come almost between the front legs during a full erection and extension. A bull with a too short penis will not be able to breed."

http://www.vetmed.lsu.edu/eiltslotus/th ... 1/bull.htm
I don't think this is the kind of length we're talking about. :)
compared the length from say the tail head to the ears

hey guys, i'm with mike on this one....length is relative to what can be done with it :help:

MikeC":2ciqqkzz said:
On "BULL" length from LSU Veterinary School:

"An adequate length for a bull's penis is that it should come almost between the front legs during a full erection and extension. A bull with a too short penis will not be able to breed."

http://www.vetmed.lsu.edu/eiltslotus/th ... 1/bull.htm
:lol: :lol: :lol: You are too funny my friend!

boone":1n88qkat said:
I've often heard the bulls being referred to as "having good length" or some variation. Between breeds, has anyone actually compared the length from say the tail head to the ears? How much difference from animal to animal do you think there would be? If there is significant variance, wouldn't this be a valuable number to add to our current list of EPDs? Tell me what you think. It's raining and I'm bored. Boone

I helped measure a bull at the Iowa Beef Expo a couple years ago. A perspective buyer requested the measurements. We measured hearth girth, lenght from poll to pins and top of shoulder to pins, ...might have been something else too. It was a first for me. Apparently the person who requested them knew enough about it that the numbers meant something to him. Some of the early Gelbvieh breeders took linear measurements but I don't know if the association did anything with it or if it was strictly for in herd use.

MikeC":29nki2oz said:
dun, Great minds must think alike? I beat you by a mere 2 minutes. :lol:

Took me 2 inutes to find the right link on this computer

boone":2yxbyglw said:
If there is significant variance, wouldn't this be a valuable number to add to our current list of EPDs? Tell me what you think.
We have to dang many EPD's already.
boone":2yxbyglw said:
It's raining and I'm bored. Boone
You must be. :lol:

la4angus":1epmwda3 said:
boone":1epmwda3 said:
If there is significant variance, wouldn't this be a valuable number to add to our current list of EPDs? Tell me what you think.
We have to dang many EPD's already.
boone":1epmwda3 said:
It's raining and I'm bored. Boone
You must be. :lol:

I would think that a good measurement of "length" would be the length between the front and back legs. That is where the most expensive cuts of meat come from and the longer it is, the more money it brings. Of course, it doesn't do the producer much good unless most of his steers are long there.

Maybe they mean length of rib? I've heard judges talk about this in judging show cattle. The longer they are in rib the more amount of meat they can produce.

At last the rain has stopped. I am no longer as bored as I was yesterday. The folks at bovine engineering must be reeeeel bored. Makes for some interesting conversation though.

I have always been told that a bull that has "good length", is the distance from his hooks to his pins. If a bull has a short hip, it might make him appear longer because all you see is side.

It always amazes me how different people look at animals differently. I know some people that always talk about their head and necks. Then some get excited about their shoulder. Personally, I start at the hind end, first they have to be thick with natural muscling, which you can tell by how far apart their hind legs set, then the length of their hip, and then they must be standing on good feet and legs. All three of those criteria are a must or we pass. If they meet all three of those, then we start looking at the rest of the bull.