lemon of a tractor

Help Support CattleToday:

onecarl2002

Reaction score
I am as feed up as it gets. I bought a new 2660 Massey ferguson tractor at the end of 2010 and it has been in the shop more than it has been on the farm. Transmition, clutch, pto, hydrolics and now with the warrenty ran out the bills are coming in. I know I am complaining but maybe i am giving others a heads up that are in the market for a new tractor. The rep. just told me the clutch problem was from lifting to big of loads on the front loader I have a 630 new holland baler the bales weight between 600 and 700 pounds the loader is rated for 2600 pounds so how does this make a clutch burn up. :bang: who knows

I know several farmers in my area that have had the same luck with their newer Massey's. They also report getting no help through the company when calling to get tech support,they are repeated told "you'll have to take it to a dealer and have a Massey cert. tech look into that" since the dealer here closed the closest is 250 miles. I run 2 older Massey's (mf50 and mf165) they have been great tractors but you couldn't give me one of the new ones!

onecarl2002":r4ggtnob said:
I am as feed up as it gets. I bought a new 2660 Massey ferguson tractor at the end of 2010 and it has been in the shop more than it has been on the farm. Transmition, clutch, pto, hydrolics and now with the warrenty ran out the bills are coming in. I know I am complaining but maybe i am giving others a heads up that are in the market for a new tractor. The rep. just told me the clutch problem was from lifting to big of loads on the front loader I have a 630 new holland baler the bales weight between 600 and 700 pounds the loader is rated for 2600 pounds so how does this make a clutch burn up. :bang: who knows
My guess would be that they didn't put a big enough pump or reservoirs for the hydraulics, and it was causing the clutch to slip because i'm sure it's a hydro clutch. My CIH MX 125 has 1 really big pump, and 2 reservoirs , 1 for steering, breaks, and clutch, and 1 for the remotes, and 3 point. That way you don't drain the system when you turn, and run the remotes. So it probably wasn't your fault, and just the machine. I would sell it and find a low hour 08-10 CIH MX, if it keeps giving problems.

Add me to the list of "happy I don't own a massey" anymore.
Had a 255 with loader, 630 NH roller. Front axle pivot broke 2 times. Right rear axle/differental guts exploaded . Radiator shot, clutch out, finally the transmission seal leaked, bye bye. Lemon.

That's really unfortunate to hear. If I could afford it, I would have went with a new MF 2660 HD. But I would go through them with a fine tooth comb before buying. I would say the hydraulic capacity is insufficient for the loader, which wouldn't be a new problem as have seen it with many tractors including older Masseys.

Arron that is the exact tractor I have and hydrolics is not my only problem recalls on brakes and pto slipping out and transmission pressure light staying on is to mention a few. I findly got a hold of a guy at the main massey office in Ga. and he is reviewing my service records and says that if all I say is true next week the dealer, himself and I need to set down together and have a meeting where that will get us or help me I dont know but he says we need to work it out and he is sorry for the way my dealer and rep. has acted over this.

It's good to hear they are standing behind their product. I'm a Massey man. My newest is an 83 model. It's really getting to be time for me start looking at a new tractor. I have been following these new Massey tractors a little bit. You read some reviews that are great, and some real horror stories.

Well I have been waiting all week for my massey rep. to call me to tell me what they are going to do with my tractor. At first they led me to believe that they were going to trade me out and give me a new tractor since I have had so much trouble with mine and the way I have been treated. Just like this summer when mine was in the shop they led me to believe any day they were going to bring me a tractor out to use in hay till they got mine fixed but guess what I am still waiting and mine is back in the shop. So a fellow from the main office in Ga. called me this morning and like always it was a completely different story he said that he would take the bill that I would have at the shop now for getting the clutch put in off a new 2013 tractor that was not going to be avalible until March and take my tractor in on a trade at book value. That is exact opppisite of what they told me Wednesday morning but all I can do is warn everyone of what I have been through and next week I am going tractor shopping also and I can promise you it will not be red so dont say I didnt tell you so lol lol.

A friend of mine used to own a Ford dealership, I explained to him that the salesmen sell the first tractor, the service department sells the second.

Caustic Burno":3h099ktp said:
Been well pleased so far with my 2007 New Holland, my 77 Massey aint for sale.
That old Massey best tractor I ever owned.

That's probably because some other country didn't produce it.

houstoncutter":168eg6wm said:
Well if we are talking about turd tractors....let me say my New Holland 7610 S is a real turd roller

What problems have you had from it?