Legitimate BSE Info Site!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

Hey Texan, I'd like to see this one stay towards the top too. But the thing is...most of us responsible cattle producers already have made a note of the site.

Good site. Something I'd like to find out is if BSE has ever been found in a beef cow. The cows I always see on tv, time and time again, are all dairy cows. I'd also like to know what the general herd health is like where these infected cows have been found. There's more than a few farmers out there who shouldn't own cattle. I'm just thinking that you could probably find a correlation. Just my thought.

Marty":1a3s9en6 said:
Good site. Something I'd like to find out is if BSE has ever been found in a beef cow. The cows I always see on tv, time and time again, are all dairy cows. I'd also like to know what the general herd health is like where these infected cows have been found. There's more than a few farmers out there who shouldn't own cattle. I'm just thinking that you could probably find a correlation. Just my thought.

My thoughts on why you see it in dairy cows on TV and not in beef cows are based on managment. Dairy cows are usually grained much more then beef, therfore they have a higher possibility of getting fed stuff that would cause it. Dairy cow are seen everyday or nearly everyday so if there is something screwy with her it's detected sooner. Beef cows could have it and fall down and die back in the pasture and the first time it's noticed is when she starts to stink and the yotes are feeding on her.

dun

dun":1j4gn3t2 said:
Marty":1j4gn3t2 said:

My thoughts on why you see it in dairy cows on TV and not in beef cows are based on managment. Dairy cows are usually grained much more then beef, therfore they have a higher possibility of getting fed stuff that would cause it. Dairy cow are seen everyday or nearly everyday so if there is something screwy with her it's detected sooner. Beef cows could have it and fall down and die back in the pasture and the first time it's noticed is when she starts to stink and the yotes are feeding on her.

dun

Marty- I believe the first cow found in Canada that had originated in England was a Saler breed-- the Alberta cow was an angus breed- the Canadian cow that was found in Washington was a Holstein- so beef cattle can get it--- But I think Dun is right in why its probably found in the dairy cattle more--Also those pictures the media kept showing on TV all came from England or Europe, that have a higher population of dairy breeds.

certherfbeef":2srmkbbd said:
Hey Texan, I'd like to see this one stay towards the top too. But the thing is...most of us responsible cattle producers already have made a note of the site.
Yeah, cert. I guess you're right. ;-)
But the responsible cattle producer wasn't who I had in mind. Its those just passing through, seeking the truth. :D

Latest posts