Leggy? Long legs.

Help Support CattleToday:

Txwalt

Reaction score
I noticed at the sale barn that some of the calves with a lot of air under them were going for more than the rest. I asked a friend about it and he said the stockers like them more because they do better in that enviroment. I'm not sure what he meant by that but wondered what ya'lls thoughts are on it.

Walt

On our farms with low carrying capacity, we needed cattle that were able to forage over a large area with minimal energy wastage, breeds which are a little longer in the leg proved to be better adapted to our conditions. When I exported a herd to Namibia in 1978, one of the requirements was for cattle that were able to cover distances in the semi-desert conditions to better utilise sparse forage, the selected cattle adapted to the conditions and have thrived ,even through severe droughts, to today.

Txwalt":1jgorbsb said:
I noticed at the sale barn that some of the calves with a lot of air under them were going for more than the rest. I asked a friend about it and he said the stockers like them more because they do better in that enviroment. I'm not sure what he meant by that but wondered what ya'lls thats are on it.

Walt

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post but, considering your area, I'm thinking he was refering to the Longhorn influence. They are very hardy, can cover a lot of distance with a minimum of cost to output (didn't phrase that right, but hopefully it is understandable), don't need as much water as a lot of breeds, and thrive on next to nothing. From what I have read, and as I understand it - Longhorns are the closest to achieving the "worry-free" label that everyone wants. Just my thoughts.

These particular calves were charolais cross calves. They seem bring an extra $.10 over the other charolais crosses on this particular day.

Walt

Latest posts