LEG INJURY

Help Support CattleToday:

jnowack

Reaction score
I HAVE A 4 YR OLD MARE WHO RAN THROUGH A FENCE AND CUT HER RIGHT REAR LEG JUST ABOVE THE PASTERN JOINT. WE HAD THE VET SEW IT UP AND SHE HAS BEEN STALLED AND HAD REGULARD DRESSING CHANGES. THERE IS SOME DAMAGE TO THE LIGAMENTS IN THE FRONT OF THE LEG. THE STICHES ON THE INSIDE HELD AND THAT PART OF THE WOUND LOOKS PRETTY GOOD BUT THE STICHES IN THE SKIN PULLED OUT AND THE HEALING HAS BEEN SLOW BECAUSE EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE SHE CATCHES HER TOE AND ROLLS OVER ON IT. I HAVE ASKED SEVERAL VETS AND HORSE OWNERS IF THERE IS ANY KIND OF BRACE WE COULD USE TO PREVENT HER FROM ROTATING THE JOINT TOO FAR FORWARD AND PULLING THE WOUND OPEN. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS? THANKS

rap the joint as tight as possible to lock the joint to keep her from breaking over. how far above the joint is the wound? is she breaking over from the wound?

THE CUT IS ABOUT 1 1/2 INCHES ABOVE THE JOINT. WE HAVE KEPT IT WRAPPED WITH ROLL GUAZE AND VET WRAP. THE VET TOLD US THE PRE STRETCH THE WRAP AND THEN NOT TO GET IT OVERLY SNUG BECAUSE WITH THE POTENTIAL FOR SWELLING AND INFECTION WE COULD CUT OFF THE CIRCULATION.

are we talking wrapping from the foot up just below the wound now you can always wrap around underneath the foot back up and around the tip of the hoof the pull back behind the joint that would keep the tip of the hoof up dont forget the potentail of duct tape in situations like this it doesnt have too be too tight

I WRAP FROM THE HOOF TO ABOUT HALFWAY FROM THE HOCK AND THE PASTERN. SHE IS PRETTY EASY GOING BUT SHE WILL NOT STAND STILL FOR THE DRESSING CHANGE W/O A SEDATIVE. THE DUCT TAPE WOULD BE EFFECTIVE IN IMMOBILIZING THE JOINT, HOWEVER I WAS THINKING MORE ALONG THE LINED OF A BRACE. I HAVE SEEN KNEE BRACES FOR PEOPLE THAT HAVE A HINGE JOINT THAT ALLOW MOVEMENT TO A CERTAIN DEGREE AND WAS WONDERING IF THERE WERE SIMILAR BRACES FOR HORSES. IF WRAP THE JOINT TO KEEP IT FROM MOVING AT ALL I COULD END UP WITH MORE PROBLEMS FROM MUSCLE ATROPHY AFTER THE CUT IS HEALED.

THANKS

Your probably gonna have to fabricate something your self like out of aluminum wouldnt think the muscle would be something that couldnt be over come pretty fast

UPDATING-
ALL OF THE STICHES PULLED OUT-WELL THE INNER ONES HELD UNTIL THEY DISOLVED. TENDON ON FRONT IS HOLDING BY EACH CORNER - CUT THROUGH IN THE MIDDLE. VET PUT A CAST ON AND SHE BROKE IT THE FIRST NIGHT. THEN WE TRIMMED THE SHARP EDGES OFF AND PACKED GAUZE AROUND IT AND VET WRAPPED OVER THAT. PLANNING TO RE-CAST AT 3 WEEKS AND SEE HOW ITS GOING.

UPDATE
Took the cast off last week. Cuts are all healed up. Only minor irritations from the cast. Tendon is not totally healed but she is moving fine. We finally got her out of the stall and in a small pen.

jnowack,

That's good news, good luck getting her back in condition, sounds like she may make it.

Alan

Thanks Alan,

Hopefully we can get her back riding this winter and see how it goes. If not, she is sound enough to make a brood mare at least.

jnowack

good news, glad to hear she is doing well, my friends horse I look after took a fall at the show jump last week, and bruised her hind leg she was in a traction frame for a few days to keep her off of her legs but she is OK now.