Leftover CIDRs not properly sealed

Help Support CattleToday:

Katpau

Reaction score
I had some CIDRs leftover from last year and when I pulled them out this year I realized the bag they were in was not fully closed. Are they still good if they were exposed to air for an entire year?

I resuse my cidrs each year but only take out, disinfect and put in another cow. I would think it would be fine, maybe bse can chime in and give his opinion. I personally probably wouldn't risk it with all the labor and cost associated with ai and et.

These are not reused CIDRs. I am concerned that I did not seal up the bag. I am not sure if the chemical can escape when exposed to the air for too long.

I do reuse the CIDRs that are only in cows for 5 days, but I clean them up and reseal them before putting them away.

I would not risk it. The stuff on the cidr is most important and if that was exposed to air for a while there is a good chance that it may be off of it now or not up to its full potential.

I'd say they would be ok, maybe depending also where they were stored. the product on the wings isnt activated by air.

I usually have leftover CIDRs each year and use the next year with no problem. sometimes the bag is sealed properly and sometimes not. If you decide not use them, I will send you my address and you can send them to me. I have never reused a CIDR and don't plan too.

Thanks for the replies. I think I will chance it and use them. At $10-$11 each I would hate to waste them.
I do the long protocol on heifers, so I will get fresh ones for them since their CIDRs are in for a full two weeks.
I usually do the 5 day on cows, so I will use them there. There were just 4 left and I am going to note which cows they went in so I can see if I notice any difference in heat expression.

Katpau said:
Thanks for the replies. I think I will chance it and use them. At $10-$11 each I would hate to waste them.
I do the long protocol on heifers, so I will get fresh ones for them since their CIDRs are in for a full two weeks.
I usually do the 5 day on cows, so I will use them there. There were just 4 left and I am going to note which cows they went in so I can see if I notice any difference in heat expression.

I would be surprised if there is any difference, they are saturated in the hormone. Some people even use them more than twice. But be sure to update us when you're done for future reference.

gizmom said:
A side note our embryologist recommends storing used cidr's in paper bag or cardboard box after cleaning. Due to moisture just passing on advise we have been given.

Gizmom

How many times do you guys use your CIDR's before tossing them?

Katpau said:
There is some suggestion that full strength cidrs may be a bit of an overkill with heifers, I know that a trial is being done with the Cuemate pods with heifers where one pod is normal and the other has no progesterone and I believe that they are getting slightly higher pregnancy rates. I have started using the used cidrs in my heifers so hopefully a bit less progesterone.

Ken

for what its worth theres 19 days of progesterone, so they will work 2 times, I hear of people using them the third time on recips, ill not be reusing any, to much time involved for me to get that little bit of infection that happens more on 2nd use.
If your gonna reuse them clean with warm water only, dont soak them in anything, make sure those little holes are cleaned out down through the rubber cover, you will find alot of stuff between the rubber and plastic. The like was said earlier let them dry on paper or cardboard for several days(completly dried) then they can be put in a baggie

We always use them twice. But clean them as BSE recommended, those little holes do get gunk in them. Then put them in a cardboard records storage box (being in the records management business we have plenty of the boxes available).

Gizmom

wbvs58 said:
Katpau said:
There is some suggestion that full strength cidrs may be a bit of an overkill with heifers, I know that a trial is being done with the Cuemate pods with heifers where one pod is normal and the other has no progesterone and I believe that they are getting slightly higher pregnancy rates. I have started using the used cidrs in my heifers so hopefully a bit less progesterone.

Ken

If I was ever gonna reuse any it would be on heifers, the cidr is more pliable and as youve said maybe not as strong. I do know it seems that used cidrs on heifers i dont get as much of what seems like a burn on the end of the cervix which could help conception. I probably wont still be cleaning any.

gizmom said:
A side note our embryologist recommends storing used cidr's in paper bag or cardboard box after cleaning. Due to moisture just passing on advise we have been given.

Gizmom
If your embryologist says put them in a paper bag, then being in an unsealed plastic bag should be fine. Thank you Gizmom. That took away any doubts I had.

gizmom said:
We always use them twice. But clean them as BSE recommended, those little holes do get gunk in them. Then put them in a cardboard records storage box (being in the records management business we have plenty of the boxes available).

Gizmom

We do the same, rinse them with warm water, lay them out to air dry on newspaper, then store in cardboard box. Only use them twice.

Latest posts