Left hand reverser

Help Support CattleToday:

denoginnizer

Reaction score
When you are bushogging and you come to a corner in the fence do you have to disengage your pto or can you just go from forward to reverse while the pto is still running?

denoginnizer":395se6ly said:
When you are bushogging and you come to a corner in the fence do you have to disengage your pto or can you just go from forward to reverse while the pto is still running?

Another of those, it depnds kind of deals. In most tractors the PTO drive is seperate from the wheel drive. There are also 2 types of PTO. One type stops when you push in the clutch, the other doesn;t. The reason I say "most tractors" is because years ago I had an old clunker that you would have to wait for the pto to stop turning before you could change gears and the blades turned in the wrong direction when backing up.

dun

Yea it does depend on how old it is.I think most 70's model up are independent.You could just try it and find out.I would put it in reverse then engage the pto at low idle and see which way it turns,then you know.

single stage clutch, transmission and pto stop when clutched?
like an old 2n or 9n?
two stage clutch press it all the way in to enage the pto and parially to shift? weren't the 601 workmasters like this? a 1900 ford is.
independent pto no clutch required? like the MF 285?

From what I've read everyone is right - it depends. I think the key word (at least for a Ford tractor) is "LIVE PTO" which means the PTO output shaft is connected to the engine before the clutch for the transmission.

Even if you have an older tractor without "live PTO" you can get an over running clutch from any number of places including Tractor Supply which will allow the blades to keep spinning without trying to drive the tractor. They are relatively inexpensive and connect between the PTO shaft and the mower. No modifcations are necessary to either the tractor or the mower provided the mower shaft is short enough to add about 6" to the length.

Latest posts