Lefse

Help Support CattleToday:

mnmtranching

Reaction score
Most lefse or lefsa is made with instant potatoes, and dry milk. That's why commercial lefse isn't Norwegian Lefse.

18 medium baking potatoes. [Russet type]
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream.
1/2 cup butter.
1 tablespoon salt.
1 tablespoon white sugar.
4 cups flour.

Peel, boil and mash potatoes well.
In a large mixing bowl, mix potatoes, cream, butter, salt and sugar. Cover and refrigerate over night.
Mix in flour, roll the mixture into tennis ball size balls. Put each ball in the fridge as their made. Take out one at a time and roll out on a flour covered board, and rub flour onto rolling pin. Roll the thickness of a Tortilla.
Cook on a grill or large skillet. Very hot, turn in about 10 seconds or when just light brown.
Eat while warm or microwave or heat later, or eat cool.

Some eating suggestions.
Traditionally you would smear a good layer of Lutefisk on the lefse, roll it up and enjoy.

I like it warmed, buttered, sugar and cinnamon rolled, pick it up and eat it with your hands, Yummmmm!

mnmtranching":1d2oj6fa said:
I like it warmed, buttered, sugar and cinnamon rolled, pick it up and eat it with your hands, Yummmmm!
Thanks mnmt! I am for sure looking forward to trying that!

Thanks mnmt, and it sounds almost easy to make so even I might be able to pull it off.. :D

I haven't had lefse in 30 years, so I will see if it as good as I remembered it, we ate it plain or with butter..

angie":inuil4zc said:
mnmtranching":inuil4zc said:
Thanks mnmt! I am for sure looking forward to trying that!

Angie, what about the traditional method?

John, REALLY! this is the stuff you can't stop eating. :nod: You want to make plenty.

dun":2ragzlxu said:
Sounds like a sweet norwegian tortilla

Dun, this is taters and cream and butter, GOOD stuff. Not to be mistaken with the corn and junk. :shock:

mnmtranching":1jpanrk1 said:
dun":1jpanrk1 said:

Dun, this is taters and cream and butter, GOOD stuff. Not to be mistaken with the corn and junk. :shock:
Suppstitute wheat flour for the spuds and lard instead of butter, skip the cream and you have a tortilla.

OK Dun, do your tortilla and then do the lefsa and see what you like best. :cowboy:

hillsdown":2a5p38sn said:
Thanks mnmt, and it sounds almost easy to make so even I might be able to pull it off.. :D

I haven't had lefse in 30 years, so I will see if it as good as I remembered it, we ate it plain or with butter..

HD easy to assemble ingredients, not so easy rolling out. Needs to be rolled very, very thin and you need a long handled wooden stick to flip it on the griddle. My Norwegian MIL was a miracle at this and I spent countless hours with her patiently instructing me on the finer points. Since she has passed away, I buy store lefse.

mnmtranching":253qomqv said:
Traditionally you would smear a good layer of Lutefisk on the lefse, roll it up and enjoy.

Dun, I am going to opt for your tortilla after reading this thread.

backhoeboogie":18mxoemk said:
mnmtranching":18mxoemk said:

And, I second that motion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BeefmasterB":bazten6s said:
Here's how I see it dollbaby :roll: (ps ~ thanks for "dollbaby" Lammie, new favorite :nod: ) ~ if it looks like a chicken and acts like a chicken, must be a ...... well, you know the rest. :secret:
You Tx boys could learn a thing or two about whats good eats.

angie":6qfwtphu said:
BeefmasterB":6qfwtphu said:
Here's how I see it dollbaby :roll: (ps ~ thanks for "dollbaby" Lammie, new favorite :nod: ) ~ if it looks like a chicken and acts like a chicken, must be a ...... well, you know the rest. :secret:

Dollbaby?? :lol2: No objection to your lefse, smelt and lutefisk (I'm guessing Lammie wouldn't eat it either, just a guess) I'm sure it's all great once you develop that acquired taste. But I'll just stick with my beef and chicken fajitas, with all the fixings and those hot out of the pan tortillias. Looks like that lefse would be easy to make though!!

angie":1x7dgnqe said:

Ya think? It seems like we know good food. Afterall, we aren't the ones coming up with this creative cooking desperation dishes.

Good cake for dessert would make me look forward to your dishes tho.

angie":6h7ccs2g said:
BeefmasterB":6h7ccs2g said:

I am glad you liked the name. You always knew you were in deep snow when Mama called you dollbaby.

backhoeboogie":fzyngkhw said:
mnmtranching":fzyngkhw said:

Wheat flour and lard :help:

mnmtranching":2mhyjj1j said:
Wheat flour and lard :help:

Ah yes. Terminology I can deal with. Wrap that around a rib eye and you'll have my attention.

Never heard lutefisk or lefse until ya'll came along

mnmtranching":qwh3p7qh said:
dun":qwh3p7qh said:

Tater salad? Tater soup

Latest posts