LEDs - Are They Worth It?

Help Support CattleToday:

jka300

Reaction score
I've been looking around the last couple of days for led light bulbs. Everywhere I go to on the internet, the websites just talk about energy savings and not much about how well they light up a room. I was looking at replacing 60 watt incandescents, when they burn out, with led but if they don't light up the room its no use wasting money on them. I was wondering if anyone is or has used led lights in the house for replacing 60 watt incandescent lights? Your help would be much appreciated. :help:

I can email you a 50 page report my group and myself did last semester on the environemtal benefits of replacing Incandesent bulbs with CFLs. You save by doing it. As for LED, I didnt get a chance to put any research into that.

this always reminds me f the ''buy a windmill for electricity gimmick''

would work where im at..but for 20 grand plus another 10 to install it even if i never bought elec again id save 200/mo..say 300. thats 3600 yr...um ..thats 10 yrs to pay it off....so not including maint and buying elec at nite and such cuz i dont wanna fill my garage w/batteries...ill just turn lites off and make the iwfe use the clothesline.....it wont send me to the poorhouse payin interest

weve been using those effeicency lights for years.an yes they do work an are worth the extra money.we have gone to them 100%.an they last for years.before they burn out.sometimes youll run into bad bulbs.we hitt 3 bad bulbs awhile back.but you can take them back an get your money back.if they burned out before the warrenty goes out.an yes they light up a room.right now we have about 40 of those bulbs in use in the house now.

We bought LED Christmas lights this year. They weren't nearly as bright as the other bulbs we had and I didn't notice any less off my colosal December electric bill. December is always the most expensive electric bill we get. All the relatives going in and out and keeping the heat on all night long because we don't want the MIL to get too cold... I'd say July runs a close second for the same reasons.

I wish I had a clothes line. I used to use mine all the time. They are great for sheets and undies. And I love to see those undies out flapping in the wind... :nod:

I have a couple of LED flashlights, and I find the light hard to use--hope that makes sense. It is an odd light, to me. I have a couple of those CFG's, and I tolerate them because they are long lasting compared to incandesants. They are in the ceiling, and they run hot. But they also make an odd light. And they are slow to reach max output.
I'll stay with incandescent light until they make it illegal. Soon, no doubt.

Bought a rechargable LED flashlight 6 months ago. 20 hours on 1 charge was the claim. Use it regularly, not had to charge it yet. The light is much brighter , goes further, than our battery torch. Emits a white light. 6 bulbs in our one...the replacement cost might be high. But at 6 bucks, it's almost disposable.
Brianna.

I just got one the other day. Bright as the sun up close but mine doesn;t throuw a bean as well as the old maglites with just one bulb and 2 AAA batterys

dun":1dwf1b1u said:
I just got one the other day. Bright as the sun up close but mine doesn;t throuw a bean as well as the old maglites with just one bulb and 2 AAA batterys

That is also my impression. LED flashlights are good up close, but they aren't anything at a distance. About 18" being the distance.

john250":twh325fj said:
dun":twh325fj said:

That is also my impression. LED flashlights are good up close, but they aren't anything at a distance. About 18" being the distance.

I have to agree with that, the flash lights are useless. That is why I'm unsure of using led light bulbs

im sorry there is no way to ever return yer investment....40 bulbs in yer house mustve cost you 250 bucks....the tiny amt of elec you save will take til they burn out to recuop.....

as for the flashlights ive got a stinger led that is brighter than the sun...its 150 dollar flashlight the company buys us mechanics. rechargable...but my 6 cell maglight will throw abeam further but is not nearly as good or as blindin up close...up to about 20 ft id say actually
leds are so cheap to manufacture they oughtta be givin em away to get the world to change to em..but instead they tout it as new technonlogy and ream us for it....

leds been around for 40 yrs....anything w/a little red light on it is led....

almost as good a marketing job as the angus group