LED shop lights

Help Support CattleToday:

snoopdog

Reaction score
Ordered some the other day , they arrived . Wowwie ! I hung 2 above my toolboxes , I can see ! Can't wait to pitch them flourescents out the door , maybe take the tractor and run over the darn things .

You wouldn't have a link to the type you used, would you?

I've got the CFL pigtail type in the shop, the ones about the size of a half gallon carton of milk, and have been very pleased with them.

I've had led lighting on the outside of my shop for a number of years and very happy with them, but they aren't the tube type. Only problem I had was the motion detector part failed. I just removed it, then wired around that and put it on an on/off switch.

cfpinz":1p5ykhy3 said:

I've got the CFL pigtail type in the shop, the ones about the size of a half gallon carton of milk, and have been very pleased with them.
I don't have a link offhand , but they are sunnco 4ft , with pull chains , 6 for 155 shipped from amazon. They can be plugged in to each other in series .

snoopdog":dfi9e351 said:
Ordered some the other day , they arrived . Wowwie ! I hung 2 above my toolboxes , I can see ! Can't wait to pitch them flourescents out the door , maybe take the tractor and run over the darn things .

I love LED shop lights I never turn mine on and off they stay on all the time they use very lil energy I looked all around and found some cheap ones at walmart 40 bucks and 4500 lumens if I remember correctly I bought 2 loved them bought 4 more and man like you say you can really see clean and clear no yellowish or off tint color. I think m5 told me don't fool with the flourescents and get the leds

snoopdog":ncmrd9qf said:
cfpinz":ncmrd9qf said:

I don't have a link offhand , but they are sunnco 4ft , with pull chains , 6 for 155 shipped from amazon. They can be plugged in to each other in series .

Thanks!

Well $#@^&*(), My shop has 30, 8 ft fluorescent fixtures (60 bulbs). This AM when I turned the lights on, 6 fixtures did not come on, I have several bulbs & 3 or 4 ballast in stock, I'll use up what I have first, and then start replacing with LED.
So my question is, What do I replace with 48 in ??? What Lumens ??? a quick internet search only found 48 inch, 2500 to 5000 lumens, some said commercial fixtures??
Any advice appreciated,
CH

Stocker Steve":20ckira7 said:
Does using a 4' link cable provide a reasonable spacing distance?

How would you mount them in an unfinished building with exposed rafters?
I put one in between each truss which are 5 feet apart. I wanted plenty of light. I have 17 in a 30x 40 ship right now. Will probably add 2 more before winter, got a dark spot at the doors when they are closed.

I just ran a 2x4 across the trusses and hung mine from it.

Ky cowboy":1q8cdy3z said:
We bought some led bulbs that have the ballast built in. Use the same fixtures just rewired and did away with the ballast.
Do you remember the brand or have you got a link to the vendor ??

Stocker Steve":2a6anxas said:

Steve , I used self drilling screws through the body of the light into the truss on a couple . The 4ft cable is reasonable spacing I believe , the leds put out so much more light they just don't need to be any closer .

Stocker Steve":3e6eud5f said:

My shop is 30x50 wood trussed every 5' ft, 12' floor to bottom of the truss. On the trusses with them installed, I wired duplex receptacle outlets along the center of the trusses on the 2x4 the builder used to stabilize the trusses....running along the bottom to keep them from tipping over. The receptacles are daisy chained to a light switch at the entrance door along with a switch for the work bench lights.

I use the chains provided and just use a wood screw to attach the chain to the bottom horizontal span of the truss, centered between the wall and the center of the building. The power cords are only 4' and don't reach but WW sells a 6' 2 wire extension cord for a couple of bucks that will reach over to the duplex.

My lighting density desires are not high enough for me to mount them butt to butt but if you want to you can...daisy chain to your heart's content.

We still have fluorescent lighting in our shop, 8x4 tube 4 footers.. we're just waiting for the novelty and price of LED's to come down a little.. when they're all on it's 1kw of energy consumption

ClodHopper37869":3lmdrk23 said:
Ky cowboy":3lmdrk23 said:
We bought some led bulbs that have the ballast built in. Use the same fixtures just rewired and did away with the ballast.
Do you remember the brand or have you got a link to the vendor ??

No I got them from my cousin. He ordered them from China I think, he was pretty vague. I know he ordered several 100 and has been peddling them. Sorry

I installed a motion sensing wall switch and a single incandescent bulb on the ceiling above the door from the garage into the house. This switch/fixture is independent from the original garage overhead lights and the switch was positioned so it can 'see' people entering the garage from the house, or entering the garage from the exterior man-door. These motion sensing switches are incredibly convenient, especially when your hands are full. They can also work well in hallways, pantries, and large closets, as long as the switch is well positioned and can detect the motion. I have 4 of them in various locations around the house.

cfpinz":3v0mfc46 said:

I buy mine off ebay. One is daylight around 6500k (first purchase) and the other 5000k. I have them mixed, alternate sockets for an averaging effect. The 5000k is my preference as it's bright but doesn't make you want to find your sun glasses. They aren't all that pricy considering the wattage reduction and light output when cold, and lifespan and convenience of not having to get on a 12' ladder with an arm full of tubes from time to time.

Latest posts