Leaves harmful to cattle?

Help Support CattleToday:

Devin

Reaction score
My neighbor just lost a bunch of Bradford pear trees due to a wind storm. He cut them up and piled them in one of my pasture fields where I normally burn downed limbs and trees. (while I was at work of course) My question is this. Is the Bradford pear leaf harmful to cattle such as a cherry leaf in wilt, Japanese yew etc. I have never had any of these trees and was just curious as to if I need to keep cattle out of that field for awhile. Thanks for any advice.
Devin

I can't find any information on paer trees being toxic unlike the Prunus family, i.e. plum and cherry.
The only thing I would be concerned with is if they were treated as an ornamental and maybe were either sprayed or treated systemicily with a insecticide or maybe even some form of nutrient.
The deal is, even with cherry, plum, acorns it takes a good bit of them to really cause any problems. Generally if the animals have something else to eat the may pick at them but won;t stand around and gorge themselves.

dun

I should have added that there are alwasy exceptions to what cows will eat. We had a Brangus heifer that would wade through grass to eat every hickory sprout she could find, after the hickory she patrolled till she found all of the oak sprouts and ate them. Then she would actaully go to eating grass. Our cows have now developed a great liking for thistle, don't understand it, but you can never tell with cows.

dun

Devin":1mr8rod6 said:
My neighbor just lost a bunch of Bradford pear trees due to a wind storm. He cut them up and piled them in one of my pasture fields where I normally burn downed limbs and trees. (while I was at work of course) My question is this. Is the Bradford pear leaf harmful to cattle such as a cherry leaf in wilt, Japanese yew etc. I have never had any of these trees and was just curious as to if I need to keep cattle out of that field for awhile. Thanks for any advice.
Devin

Pears are in the Rosaceae family like quince, apples and strawberries. It should be ok as long as it hasn't been sprayed with pesticides. Bradford is not a variety I'm familiar with. Is it an eating or ornamental variety?

Ornamental

dun

goatlady":4g2vp6zx said:
Devin":4g2vp6zx said:
Devin

Pears are in the Rosaceae family like quince, apples and strawberries. It should be ok as long as it hasn't been sprayed with pesticides. Bradford is not a variety I'm familiar with. Is it an eating or ornamental variety?

Dun,
I'd like to offer free room and board to some of those thistle eaters.
Cows are like people, they want what theres not much of....around here they wont eat thistles, they want grass.
William

Didn't check the book, but assuming that the Bradford flowering pears are in the same "family" as regular eating pears I THINK you have nothing to worry about, other than offering a stern lecture to your neighbor about asking first. My cows relish pear leaves (and of course pears) and have never exhibited any ill effects from eating them. They also very much like hackberry, pecan and oak leaves.

If anybody has any extra giraffes that they are tired of feeding I'll gladly give them free room and board, and all the huisache they can eat!! They'll think they are back in Africa munching on acacia leaves.

hillbilly":3ie8hqz1 said:
Dun,
I'd like to offer free room and board to some of those thistle eaters.
Cows are like people, they want what theres not much of....around here they wont eat thistles, they want grass.
William

Grass?, what's this grass stuff you're talking about? Is that what we call cow hider?

dun

Grass?, what's this grass stuff you're talking about? Is that what we call cow hider?

dun

You are a "witt"
By the way who's the kid on the fourwheeler.
Billy[/url]

Latest posts