Leasing Out My Land For Hay

Help Support CattleToday:

Jabes0623

Reaction score
I have 30-35 acres of really nice hay fields I'm interested in leasing out for next years hay season. Due to a new job I simply don't have the time to deal with it anymore.

The stand is mixed grass & legumes, fertilized to 100% of what's called for by soil samples & averaged just under 2.5 tons per acre on this seasons 1st cut.

There is also a brand new 60x60x16 pole barn that would be part of the lease to be used as storage for the hay.

Location is SE Ohio.

There's a lot of information out there but much of it is outdated & obviously regional. So I figured I'd come here & see if I could generate some type of consensus.

Fair price for the lease? Lease it by the acre or by the bale? Long-term contract or year by year? What's the best way to advertise the lease?

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

Only thing I can comment on is to insure it's in writing that it will be kept up to current soil test year by year.

Guy down the road from me leases 200+ acre they do it on half; then buy his half or he sells out of field. He fertilizes some some he does not. That deal don't sound to great to to me.

Operators prefer doing it on shares to minimize yield risk.
Lots of hay in this country and many operators ask for two thirds.
You need to think about how long the stand will last, and what happens then?
You may want to keep the shed as a separate deal.
You need to go talk to the sustainable local operators before you consider advertising for a mineral miner.

I know of a guy who leases his bermuda field - 20 acres. The owner fertilizes and sprays the field as needed (per soil sample) and gets $11.00 per roll as the lease payment. Good info above from Stocker Steve.

60/40 rule, you get 40%. probably more fair where you're at.

here hay ground is pretty rare most want a 50/50 deal.

i'd shoot for the 50/50 deal with barn access. make sure you put in the agreement they pay for any barn damage.. i've seen some idiots really destroy buildings shoving hay into them.

dun":1uh1o4u4 said:
Only thing I can comment on is to insure it's in writing that it will be kept up to current soil test year by year.

+1 on that and put it in a legal document (lease) registered with the county clerk and type it in bold print. Add to that to haul off anything put on the property during the lease. You are going to severely limit your takers but at least you will have something left when it's over. You are offering a mighty juicy morsel to would be soil abusers!

Sound like a great set up you put together . You don't need the hay any more ? If you need the hay I would try to find a good operator to put the hay up for me. Pay according to how well the hay was put up . Tough call on set price . Fertilizer and building repair could be expense. rj

Latest posts