Leasing Land Your buying..

Help Support CattleToday:

Hoppy72450

Reaction score
I was thinking about getting my first home that has 30 acres of land.. I was wondering is it possible to lease out land to someone who wants to cut hay on it.. I mean if it was previosly in bean and cotton.. Is there a chance to find someone that might lease the land to plant seed and cut hay on it ? Like say if I were to let them have the land leased to them for almost nothing or even nothing as long as they plant the field with hay that could help me later on in the future with cattle.. Are there people that do that ?

Are there people that do that ?

Yep, could probably find someone to sharecrop it for 1/4 share. But the deal is that hay is alot different than row crops, it usually takes at least two years growth before you get a decent crop, and the seed and fertilizer is expensive. So if someone were to lease it on shares, I suspect they would want you to give them at least a 5 or 6 year lease.

What exatly does it cost to plant your seed yourself say to grow a good hay crop and get it good enough you could feed decent off it.. Tractor, plow, etc... cost of enough seed to plant 20 Acres..

Hoppy72450":v5wmrjq4 said:
What exatly does it cost to plant your seed yourself say to grow a good hay crop and get it good enough you could feed decent off it.. Tractor, plow, etc... cost of enough seed to plant 20 Acres..
After the soil test the fertilizer and lime may be the biggest cost

Yeah but I mean do you need a big tractor to plant the hay or would a small one be enough.. Looking at cost of the seed and stuff needed to get started minus tractor just seed, lime, fertlizer and soil test.. About a guestament so to speak..lol

What size tractor? If it's been cropped you could proably get by with a smallish tractor to lightly disk anoug to smooth it out and rough the surface. A broadcast seeder and a roller or drag to spread the seed and cover it. Your local fertilizer/lime dealer can spread the lime and fertilzer or you can pull a fertilizer buggy with a truck.

It has been years since I have planted but with inflation and the price of seed, fertilizer, and plowing cost I believe it would cost close to a $100 an acre then $28 a bale to bale. First cutting if you could make 4 bales to acre you would have $53 a bale invested. The you hope for rain for second cutting to bring cost per bale down. At least that is what it would be in Central Tx.

Hoppy72450":etbt8nvl said:
I was thinking about getting my first home that has 30 acres of land.. I was wondering is it possible to lease out land to someone who wants to cut hay on it.. I mean if it was previosly in bean and cotton.. Is there a chance to find someone that might lease the land to plant seed and cut hay on it ? Like say if I were to let them have the land leased to them for almost nothing or even nothing as long as they plant the field with hay that could help me later on in the future with cattle.. Are there people that do that ?

I would say go talk the the fellows who grow hay in the area. I suppose the problem with your place in the flood plain is that it's in a flood plain. The risk to a good coastal field might be too great I'm guessing. Then again once whatever grass you grow gets established.........it might survive a little flood. Go ask the grass growers..........they will at least have an opinion for your area. Why dont you fix your profile link so we have some sort of idea where you live. Peace.

Hoppy, your way better off paying someone to sprig, or plant the grass for you. A local farmer knows the ropes, when and how to do it, and how much it will cost. You can't beat local knowledge.

highgrit":1lb81grs said:
Hoppy, your way better off paying someone to sprig, or plant the grass for you. A local farmer knows the ropes, when and how to do it, and how much it will cost. You can't beat local knowledge.

If it is the 29 acres that you posted , I would say buy it. If it has been in beans then it may be good on nitrogen and not need too much other types of fertilizer. Hire someone to plant summer grasses on part and cool seasonal grasses on the rest. Soil test before applying fertilizer and talk to the local ag. agent about what to do, they may also know someone who can plant it for you.

You do not want to let anyone take hay off of your ground unless they are replacing the fertilizer that you applied. Let the soil rest for at least one year after planting your grass. Just keep it clipped , someone can cut that small amount much cheaper than you. You can get yourself a decent used tractor and equipment as you go, just don't try to do everything all at once.

Good luck,
LFF

LFF and Dun thats what I am talking about.. Giving alot more insite to me.. I appreciate it fella's.. Its a conventional loan for that 29 acres LFF but I am still gonna try and get it.. I been working on my credit but its still not the greatest..lol I know I can get a FHA loan but I dont really know if I can get a conventional loan or not.. Gonna check into it more.. Thats why I started leaning towards the 16 acre house cus I know I can get it already.. But not as much land and about 20k more for less land..

I would say go talk the the fellows who grow hay in the area. I suppose the problem with your place in the flood plain is that it's in a flood plain. The risk to a good coastal field might be too great I'm guessing. Then again once whatever grass you grow gets established.........it might survive a little flood. Go ask the grass growers..........they will at least have an opinion for your area. Why dont you fix your profile link so we have some sort of idea where you live. Peace.[/quote]

I fixed it thanks.. Maybe that would help huh..lol

You might qualify for a new farmer loan from FSA. Might check on it. Also any cost share for improvements could be cost shared at a higher rate.

yeah but would I get a loan like that.. Seeing how I dont have Livestock experiance of any kind ? Besides what I have read and also what I learned on The Last American Cowboy..lmao

Love that series by the way.. Hughes family Rocks

Hoppy72450":24iogwdr said:
LFF and Dun thats what I am talking about.. Giving alot more insite to me.. I appreciate it fella's.. Its a conventional loan for that 29 acres LFF but I am still gonna try and get it.. I been working on my credit but its still not the greatest..lol I know I can get a FHA loan but I dont really know if I can get a conventional loan or not.. Gonna check into it more.. Thats why I started leaning towards the 16 acre house cus I know I can get it already.. But not as much land and about 20k more for less land..

Stay away from the 16 acres, it just is not enough usable land to do what you want. If you only want to keep two horses and may be a few chickens it will be ok. If you really want to raise a few cows then you will need the 29 acres at a minimum.

LFF

Latest posts