Leasing for Deer Hunting

Help Support CattleToday:

Beefy

Reaction score
Do any of you lease out any land for deer hunting? I have a friend interested in leasing out some land for one or two weekends out of the season. I dont want to lease it for the whole season b/c of all the hassle plus i dont want people out there every weekend. Just want to lease it out to a friend or two once in a while. If anyone leases out or leases in any land for deer hunting about what is a reasonable price per day or weekend?

Don't because I don't want the hassle plus carrying the extra Liability insurance. I know of several ranches that quit over the insurance, There are a lot of day leases in Texas especially central Texas and good hunting to. There are several around Mason Texas. Last time I went to Mason it was 75 bucks a day.

Campground Cattle":2td7mjyd said:
Don't because I don't want the hassle plus carrying the extra Liability insurance. I know of several ranches that quit over the insurance, There are a lot of day leases in Texas especially central Texas and good hunting to. There are several around Mason Texas. Last time I went to Mason it was 75 bucks a day.
I wouldn't even consider it unless it was a close friend I could trust with a gun. Some of those high powered rounds can carry 5 miles. To close for comfort for me.

I haven't leased any land for someone to hunt on but once in awhile I'll let a close friend hunt on my place. That way I know who's toting the gun and they understand that it's just them that can hunt. But then most of my family ( wife, 2 sons, daughter & 1 daughter-in-law ) hunts so most of the better spots are taken most of the time.

For some reason most people assume that when they pay for the right to hunt it gives them the right to decide who they can bring with them.

;-)

I have had some experience both ways, as the lessee and the lessor. I fully agree with the prior comment about getting it in writing. Try to settle the dispute before it occurs. Another thing, you can get the hunter to sign a statement to the effect that he won't hold you responsible if he get hurt, but that doesn't mean he won't, and it doesn't mean that a court won't also see it his way. A "Hold Harmless" agreement doesn't change the law. Around my neck of the woods, a season lease will cost you about $10 per acre. A day lease usually runs $50 to $100 day but there aren't many day leases on this side of the state.