leasing/fence

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Here in southeastern Texas, what is the average cost per acre lease price for grazing? I realize it usually depends on what is worked out between grazer and owner, but between fertilization fueds and seed planting, i think what i'm paying is too much. I currently lease a 40 acre pasture.
I am going to be buying my own land soon, but it'll take a good year to get it ready for my cattle.

Currently I lease out my 320 south of Wichita Falls for $4.75 an acre, 5 year lease term. He takes care of the fences and I pay the taxes.

katmanjeff":2rf6e6tc said:
Currently I lease out my 320 south of Wichita Falls for $4.75 an acre, 5 year lease term. He takes care of the fences and I pay the taxes.

Where is your place south of Wichita Falls? I was raised around the Graham and Newcastle area. My father-in-law, who lives outside of Olney is leasing a couple of places around that area, and I think he is paying around $7.00, but he has the hunting too.

I have a neighbor who just leased 46 acres across the road. He's paying $500 per year. He's negotiated a five year lease. Fortunately, he also owns a bulldozer and he is going to clear huische off the property in exchange for the first 3 years cost of the lease.

I'm not too close to you (Florida) but I lease for $2.50/acre annually. Landowner supplies well fenced pasture and pays taxes. Then again, the property value is so high, that the tax savings are tremendous, so we're doing the landowner a favor in the first place. Some of my friends lease for free in return for tax savings and keeping the land maintained nicely. Others pay a little more.

Around $10 to $14 per acre (depending on quality of fence, grass, etc. ) is what a few fellows that I know pay for lease land in SE Texas, say within 50 miles of Houston, usually on a year to year basis. Tenant responsible for maintaining fences, water well, paying for electricity. Some folks pay quite a bit more, particularly the horse guys on smaller tracts. The demand for acreage by cattlement FAR EXCEEDS the supply of available land; but prices stay as "low" as quoted above because to pay much more you have a hard time penciling out a potential profit --- and most landowners are keen on having their land leased to someone for ag use so as to lower the typically astronomically high real estate taxes. $2.50 per acre in Florida sounds like a super fantastic deal ! Arnold Ziffle

Well then i know i'm paying too much. And with his demands; i seed and fertilize, i'm going to have to work out a better deal or go elsewhere.

I've always paid around $8-9 an acre for hunting, and i suspect 10-12(for grazing) is a fair number if the land is rich. But with fertilization costs thrown in that can get expensive.

Latest posts