Leasing Cows

Help Support CattleToday:

Weaver

Reaction score
We rent some pasture ground from a landlord who also has about 35 head of beef cows himself. He called the other day and said that he had a job offer down in Florida. He said the job would last about three years and wondered if i would be interested in leasing his beef cows and hay ground until he got back. He told me to think about it and how the arrangement could be set up. Has anyone ever leased cows? I was thinking about taking care and paying all the associated costs such as pasture rent, feed, medicine, etc. as though the cows were mine and then pay him for the leasing of his cows with a percentage of the weaned calves. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I know a few dairies that lease some cows, not sure what the arrangement is though.

One fellow that I know leases his Brown Swiss cows to a dairy. The dairy breeds the cow at their cost, cow owner gets ownership of the calf, and there's some financial arrangement for the milk gleaned from the cows. Whatever their arrangement is, it works and they're happy with it. He's been leasing his cows to that dairy for many years. When the cows get to where they can't be 'on the line' anymore, he takes the cow back and uses it for a nurse cow.

If you have/have had a good working relationship with this landlord, the two of you could probably reach an agreement that is equitable for both of you. One main thing to do if you do make an arrangement is of course to get it in writing.

Katherine

I have a friend that does something like this for an absentee owner
I called him their agreement is

The owner supplies the cows and the land and pays for Vaccines and he also pays for the fert

the friend takes care of the cows, bales the hay and keeps all the fences up any new fences that need built the landowner pays for

The landowner does the brushhogging if any is needed when he comes down for the summer

They split the calf crop 50/50

I also know another guy that just takes care of the cows and he gets 20% of the calf crop and the land owner supplies everything else

I've only ever leased cows for 4-H and just treated them as they were my own then gave them back at the end of the show season. My grandparents had a few leased cows in their herd back when they milked, they fed the cows and got the money for the milk, but the owner made breeding decisions and determined what to do with the heifer calves. Pretty much whatever arrangement works for you will suffice, just come up with something you can both agree on and get it in writing.

We leased cattle up til about 1 year ago. We split the calf crop 60/40, we got 60% the owner 40%. We paid all health, pasture and winter feeding. They supplied the bulls and the cows, replacing any dry's or culls. Then they bought our 60% from us in the fall for market value.

A lot of things to think about here. I once did a 70/30, I provided everything but the cow. I finally switch to a cash lease, its alot easier to split cash than calves. I pay for each bred cow that I start with, whether the calf is dead or alive at the end of the year.
Somethings I insisted on: I provide the bulls, all open cows must be off the place by December 1st, all calves branded in my brand.
Nothing worse than trying to find & sort off his calves off at shipping time and weighing seperatly. He can either buy replacement from me or someone else. Just so they meet my health requirements and breeding. He has allowed me to do the culling.
So whatever you can agree on, put it in writing, be fair and honest and you will have a long term agreement.

I have a very good working relationship with this landlord. Ive baled several hundred round bales for him last year and have taken care of some of his cows on a temporary basis when he has been gone. We would be supplying the bull in this situation and would be buying the weaned calves in the fall to feed them out. It wouldnt be much trouble to weigh them at weaning and then pay him for a percentage. The cows would be wintered at his house. I have to have an agreement where i would pay for the fertilizer and other expenses because i cant send bills to him down in florida and expect him to deal with them and pay them.

In RWANDA you lease cattle like this; you keep all bull calves and whatever milk, he gets all heifer calves back.
This deal could be referred to as a TUTSI ROLL!
If you have to manage hayland and provide bull, it is only fair and square that you keep money from cull cows also.