Leasing cows on land

Help Support CattleToday:

Bfields30

Reaction score
Friend of mine wants to put his cows on my land from august until October as well as he wants to give me a bred cow once he takes them off my place . Me personally didnt think it was problem should I charge him and if I do how much. I have two heifers on it my grass now i have 50 acres but only use the front 20-25 so i don't have to shred I thought his 7 would be ok on the 20-25 acres and I'm trying to figure it out because he has them at his place on 10 acres and has ran out of grass. Let me know what you guys think ? Also though I'll be adding buying more cows myself of my own so I'm kinda stuck in between on what should I do.

61 days pasture (August-September) for his 7 cows and he pays you with a bred cow... seems more than fair to me.
In fact I'd probably pay him $50 too boot for choice, just to be sure it isn't his 3 legged cow as payment.

Son of Butch":29wg7rzu said:
61 days pasture (August-September) for his 7 cows and he pays you with a bred cow... seems more than fair to me.
In fact I'd probably pay him $50 too boot for choice, just to be sure it isn't his 3 legged cow as payment.
yeah also offered to pay for feed for my two heifers .

ClinchValley":270v7myf said:
Sounds like a good friend you have.
He's older up and age and he literally has no grass left so I just offered it up to him if he wanted to keep them at my place and he accepted...

Bfields30":dqe35iw3 said:
ClinchValley":dqe35iw3 said:
Sounds like a good friend you have.
He's older up and age and he literally has no grass left so I just offered it up to him if he wanted to keep them at my place and he accepted...
Doing something like offering it is a very thoughtful and generous thing to do. And obviously he really appreciated it by offering you a bred cow in return. Even if you get one of the older ones, if his cows are pretty decent you have a chance to get a possible replacement heifer. And by being such a good neighbor, who knows what it may turn into down the road. One good turn does come around in the future. And no matter what else, it makes you a good person.

What do you guys lease acerage per head or how do you lease Land with cows on it I have a guy contacting me bout leasing but idk how to price it . I'll put out mineral water and feed the cows and stuff interested what's a good price . Or you guys go about it

Bfields30":2to48ic8 said:
What do you guys lease acerage per head or how do you lease Land with cows on it I have a guy contacting me bout leasing but idk how to price it . I'll put out mineral water and feed the cows and stuff interested what's a good price . Or you guys go about it

I'm curious as well. I'd like to find a small parcel to finish 6 to 8 head a year and have no idea what to offer someone.

sassafras manor":2yypb0y0 said:
Did the other deal with your friend fall thru? It sounded like the better of the two offers you have currently to consider.
My other friend is like trying to wait because he so attached to his cows and wants to keep at his place since we got some rain... but I'm thinking he's leaning towards keeping him on his place . I was just seeing if he didn't bring them see what offers I could get and what's good or bad

I was thinking of charging a 1000 a yr maybe 35-40 acres I water them feed them he pays for the food or we work out in agreement I buy the mineral and put it out What do you Guys think.

Figure it back to $ per cow and go from that. What are you referring to when you say feed tbem? If your doing all the work and supplying the mineral maybe i should send you some.

Latest posts