leasing a bull

Help Support CattleToday:

cornfarmer62

Reaction score
what would be a fair price for me to charge to lease out my bull for 6 weeks. will probably breed 12-15 head?

cornfarmer62":38u2x4lt said:
what would be a fair price for me to charge to lease out my bull for 6 weeks. will probably breed 12-15 head?

That much semen alone is worth 250 to 300 dollars and without as high of a rate of conception! They should also pay for the BSE and the Trich test. Trich on the return especially. You do not need any std's inttoduced in your herd for a small paycheck.

3waycross":10mdrf2x said:
cornfarmer62":10mdrf2x said:

That much semen alone is worth 250 to 300 dollars and without as high of a rate of conception!
Hi. I'm not sure what Semen costs but what do you mean by the last part of that sentence?

They should also pay for the BSE . Are you serious? You really think that is going to happen on 15 head?

and the Trich test. Trich on the return especially. You do not need any std's inttoduced in your herd for a small paycheck.
That is a really good point if you believe the "Trich saga" .

I guess it doesn't matter what you believe. I believe it and the state of Colorado believes it so we get the test. It's cheap insurance!

Those were the conditions under which I would loan out my bull if at all. Nothing more nothing less.

3waycross":2qjg6wnw said:
I guess it doesn't matter what you believe. I believe it and the state of Colorado believes it so we get the test. It's cheap insurance!

Those were the conditions under which I would loan out my bull if at all. Nothing more nothing less.

Oh I pretty much agree with all you posted.......I just wondered about the options for the OP

3waycross":1xh3467o said:

By the way........how many bulls do you lease most years?

Kingfisher":2dhtvyyt said:
3waycross":2dhtvyyt said:

Oh I pretty much agree with all you posted.......I just wondered about the options for the OP

No you didn't you just wanted to start a fight about Trich testing.

Kingfisher":1llu45e2 said:
3waycross":1llu45e2 said:

By the way........how many bulls do you lease most years?

I do not lease bulls I stated my position, that's all. However I had exactly that agreement in place with a friend last summer who wanted to rent my Angus bull to clean up some heifers. We also agreed to have him covered under HIS insurance in the event of injury or death. He ended up using a Horned Herf bull instead so it was all moot in the end.

Pick a fight with someone else. I am not playing your game.

We have charged in the past $500-$700 for lease. But upon return, the bull goes straight to the 'fat pen' as we don't want any disease introduced into our herd. We don't lease all that often unless we have a bull left over from the private treaty sale.

3waycross":3pf1zbn8 said:
Kingfisher":3pf1zbn8 said:
3waycross":3pf1zbn8 said:

No you didn't you just wanted to start a fight about Trich testing.
:) I think Trich testing is a good thing.........I just wonder how real the problem is.

showing71":47dsz9qh said:
We have charged in the past $500-$700 for lease. But upon return, the bull goes straight to the 'fat pen' as we don't want any disease introduced into our herd. We don't lease all that often unless we have a bull left over from the private treaty sale.
I suppose the fat pen is " McDonalds?" Leasing sounds risky and not a good way to " make friends" I suppose it works in some locals.

leasing bulls can be a very sticky business to get into.because theres lots of things that can go haywire.personally i wouldnt do it.

In May 2010 I leased a semen tested registered Balancer bull (50% registered Angus + 50% registered Gelbvieh) for 8 weeks for $500 to cover 12 cows. According to the gestation table for the date when introduced to the herd calving due dates would begin March 7 and theorectically could continue until May 12. In actuality my first calf came on March 10, a second on March 11, the third on March 20, and that's it so far (but they've all tested pregnant) indicating differences as expected in the cow's breeding cyles (hence the reason for a 2 month bull lease for coverage.) When leasing you do risk the possibility of injury or loss of the bull. Insurance to cover a two month lease period on a $2500 valuated bull costs about $250. I opted to take the risk and self insure, but it's something to consider. Hope this info helps.

I lease a few bulls every yr to a man that I also sell cows to
he pays 1200 for 90 days
the bulls are tested before they leave and 30 days after they return he runs a closed herd as he only buys cows from me
mortality insurance on the bulls runs $7 pr $100 of value pr yr on the bulls I pay that becasue I have it on my bulls anyway
if a bull gets injured he covers vet expense and if bull is deemed unusable then he will pay for the bull on a prorated basis

I wouldn't lease bulls to just any JoBlow that comes along but I trust this man

Angus Cowman":3h5gdouh said:
I lease a few bulls every yr to a man that I also sell cows to
he pays 1200 for 90 days
the bulls are tested before they leave and 30 days after they return he runs a closed herd as he only buys cows from me
mortality insurance on the bulls runs $7 pr $100 of value pr yr on the bulls I pay that becasue I have it on my bulls anyway
if a bull gets injured he covers vet expense and if bull is deemed unusable then he will pay for the bull on a prorated basis

I wouldn't lease bulls to just any JoBlow that comes along but I trust this man
Sounds like your man has the " Bull by the horn" :)

Latest posts