leased my place

Help Support CattleToday:

papavillars

Reaction score
Sold most of my cattle and leased my place to a young man. Wife wants to travel this year, so booked a river cruise. I am 70+ and she is a few years younger. i am not to excited about a three month cruise but she deserves it. Still looking for a place in Idaho or Oregon to give to one of my daughters. Land has gotten pretty high but they will take care of it. I guess time is catching up with me. I hope to buy back in a few years from now. I saved a couple of pairs and a steer, maybe seed stock for later. I cant imagine not having any cws to fret about. I will continue to read these boards and listen to the wisdom and the tussels back and forth

I did the same (minus the river cruise) and it was sure a change. Still got cows here, just not mine. Nice this winter tho, not having to deal with hay.
Good luck. Enjoy the cruise.

I gave up a lease pasture at the end of last year. I can feed the cows in about 20 minutes now rather than the hour+ it used to take. It's good to have a little something to do, but it's priceless to be leisurely about the work.

i guess im young and dumb but i cant find any pastures to lease to save my life. i guess if i didnt want to expand theyd be falling into my lap haha

I gave up a lease pasture at the end of last year. I can feed the cows in about 20 minutes now rather than the hour+ it used to take. It's good to have a little something to do, but it's priceless to be leisurely about the work.

This year it occurred to me that my hay was all at home, and my cows were on Highway 6, and it might be easier to bring the cows home in the fall and take them back in the spring than hauling hay to them all winter.

That really cut down on the time spent and pucker factor (Highway 6 traffic can be . . . problematic). Plus I'm putting out the hay with the tractor so there's no worry about getting stuck with a truck and trailer.

I don't know why I didn't think of that sooner. Wait, I do know. I'm not very smart.

I did that one year. The lease place was in a worse drought than the home place. The following spring the clover got away from me before I moved them back so I waited it out. I guess the best reason I have for not doing it again is I'd rather have the surplus grass for baling here at home. Only have to feed 6 to 8 weeks anyway. But when the weather was bad I always wished they were home. 😅

I did that one year. The lease place was in a worse drought than the home place. The following spring the clover got away from me before I moved them back so I waited it out. I guess the best reason I have for not doing it again is I'd rather have the surplus grass for baling here at home. Only have to feed 6 to 8 weeks anyway. But when the weather was bad I always wished they were home. 😅

I will bale at home after I move the cows back to the rent pasture. My sister owns 11 unfenced acres about 4 miles away where I used to bale hay, but since I gave up my larger lease pasture I don't need as much hay, so I let someone else use hers and just cut at home. Life is much easier when I don't have to haul hay in summer or winter. Who knows, I might even sell my hay van?

Remember when highway 6 was just an almost deserted 1 lane each way? (except for that DPS trooper that was always set up just south of Navasota!)

I do. I also remember when you didn't stand a chance of finding a parking place in downtown Navasota on Saturday morning, and it was so crowded you could barely walk down the sidewalk. Of course that was before the Highway 6 bypass around Navasota, and before Walmart. Back then there were three or four each drug stores, clothing stores, grocery stores, dry cleaners, and cafes downtown, two hardware stores, two banks, one tractor dealership, one car dealership, and two dime stores. Out of all those business places, only one, P. Nemir's clothing store, is still there in the same location. The rest of them have been replaced by a book store, a coffee shop, a thrift store, and the most of the rest is antique stores.

I and wife stopped in downtown Navasota a few (10?) years back to look in some of the thrift/junk stores. Was going to eat at a place there on Washington St, and sat down at the counter but when I opened the menu, a little roach cam running out.

Latest posts