Lease the Farm for Deer & Turkey Hunting

Help Support CattleToday:

red angus 2010

Reaction score
Wife and I are discussing leasing the farm for hunting possibly deer and turkey. Would like to know both the good and bad others have experienced. We could use the income.

The biggest draw backs would be having to put up with the hunters and the cost of insurance

I lease out my deer hunting, and keep the turkey. Not sure where you live, but the further away your hunter lives, the better off you are. A local could potentiy be underfoot all the time. An out of stater isn't going to be with you nearly as much

We were thinking of starting out with our two shotgun seasons which are only for a few days each. Allowing one hunter and/or hunter and one family member on about thirty acres to themselves. Pricing at about $5,000 for each season. We are in a county in Southern Illinois known for its deer.

I lease mine out to a outfitter. He does guide trips on the place. Its mostly for ducks but they do deer and hogs as well.
He carries his own insurance and I don't have to worry as much about gates or being there all the time. He sends me a text when he will be out there and has his own locks on the gates. He is aware of the cattle and will let me know if he sees something that doesn't look right. Their will always be some problems but not as many.

Yes I could make more leasing it out to individuals but not much more and sure not worth the hassle.

I would much rather have the guided trips doing day hunts. The season lease folks want to be out there all year and want a place to park their RV and plug into your electricity and water. It turns into a three month party for some of them.

bird dog":1g5fkn2w said:
I lease mine out to a outfitter. He does guide trips on the place. Its mostly for ducks but they do deer and hogs as well.
He carries his own insurance and I don't have to worry as much about gates or being there all the time. He sends me a text when he will be out there and has his own locks on the gates. He is aware of the cattle and will let me know if he sees something that doesn't look right. Their will always be some problems but not as many.

Yes I could make more leasing it out to individuals but not much more and sure not worth the hassle.

I would much rather have the guided trips doing day hunts. The season lease folks want to be out there all year and want a place to park their RV and plug into your electricity and water. It turns into a three month party for some of them.

When I say season what I mean is the first shotgun season is mid-November Friday - Sunday. The contract would stipulate arrive on Wednesday and depart on Monday. I have a spot between the two farms that I could install RV pads with elec. but no water or sewage dump (we do not have water out where we are)

red angus 2010":9ehp7crn said:
We were thinking of starting out with our two shotgun seasons which are only for a few days each. Allowing one hunter and/or hunter and one family member on about thirty acres to themselves. Pricing at about $5,000 for each season. We are in a county in Southern Illinois known for its deer.

5000 for a three day pass on your land? Seems like a no brainer. Your cows don't make money that fast.

Even in IL, I think most will expect more than 3 days of access for $5000. The vast majority will want to bowhunt, not gun hunt. And they'll expect year round access for scouting and food plots. Your idea is more of a trespass fee than leasing. It would work much better for you than a full blown lease, I just don't think you'll be able to get that much for 3 days.

I lease the west property that my mother owns. And I sublease the hunting on two properties that I rent. I've had good luck.with having good hunters. I actually check the cows much less in hunting season because I know the hunters are in there keeping a eye on things.

For that price you could hunt Muye Grandes along with birds and hogs in Texas all year long. They would even throw in a Mescun to pack and process your game.

Friend of mine in IL used to do the hunting deal, not sure if he still does. I'll check and see what he charges and for waht

red angus 2010":u398owrc said:
Wife and I are discussing leasing the farm for hunting possibly deer and turkey. Would like to know both the good and bad others have experienced. We could use the income.
The 'good' is the $, the 'bad' is the communication.A signed contract can clarify for both parties. I think the NRA has a contract on their website. :2cents:

I'd be interested but not for only 3 days of shotgun hunting. I'd like to bow hunt myself. Plus we have a house in Jensen Beach on the water and a boat or two to trade to go fishing.

Caustic Burno":2zpubtoa said:
For that price you could hunt Muye Grandes along with birds and hogs in Texas all year long. They would even throw in a Mescun to pack and process your game.

Idk bought that. I can get 5000.00 for a year round lease on 200 acres of low fence hill country. Without even hardly trying.

callmefence":3czrp03e said:
Caustic Burno":3czrp03e said:

Idk bought that. I can get 5000.00 for a year round lease on 200 acres of low fence hill country. Without even hardly trying.

You can book a guaranteed trophy hunt including a doe, hog and lodging for half that.
That is where a fool and his money have parted.
http://www.karankawa.com/hunting-prices/

I get $4500 for 260 acres. They are welcome anytime, but usually only come the first 4-5 days of gun season. They are are great people. I feel feel privileged to have known them. They have 5 feeders. They buy the corn, and I keep it filled.

As much as I like my hunters (a husband and wife). When I retire, I may sell one week bow hunts. $1000 dollars, and they can stay in my man cave. I need to add a bathroom though.

Edited to add:
I give them full use of a 4 wheeler while they are in.

Bigfoot":3bil4n0z said:
I get $4500 for 260 acres. They are welcome anytime, but usually only come the first 4-5 days of gun season. They are are great people. I feel feel privileged to have known them. They have 5 feeders. They buy the corn, and I keep it filled.

As much as I like my hunters (a husband and wife). When I retire, I may sell one week bow hunts. $1000 dollars, and they can stay in my man cave. I need to add a bathroom though.

Man y'all have found some guys you better take care of.
1500 dollars will land you on 5k acres year around with B&C deer.
This is a eight hundred dollar deer hunt with a 125 to 130 class deer.

Edit the 7k acre lease across the road from the house is 950 year round draw back to it is mainly 110's to 120.

Caustic Burno":27nwkz9b said:
callmefence":27nwkz9b said:
Caustic Burno":27nwkz9b said:

You can book a guaranteed trophy hunt including a doe, hog and lodging for half that.
That is where a fool and his money have parted.
http://www.karankawa.com/hunting-prices/

I would just as soon shoot one of my cows.
Be Just as much of a hunt

Depends on the place you choose to hunt fence.
Lots of acreage in Texas under high fence with fair chase as well for cheaper rates.
Fence what most don't realize is hunting has been declining in Texas since 1970 and our population has doubled.
Trophy hunting has increased being a rich mans sport.
I see this declining as well as most of the hunters age out of our society.
Texas has lots of land under lease with
a decreasing pool of hunters every year.

Caustic Burno":1e0qcvzt said:
Bigfoot":1e0qcvzt said:

Man y'all have found some guys you better take care of.
1500 dollars will land you on 5k acres year around with B&C deer.
This is a eight hundred dollar deer hunt with a 125 to 130 class deer.

Edit the 7k acre lease across the road from the house is 950 year round draw back to it is mainly 110's to 120.

Yeah I think you mean 950 a gun...

Latest posts