Lease the Farm for Deer & Turkey Hunting

Help Support CattleToday:

TCRanch":27fitoh4 said:
ga.prime":27fitoh4 said:
More likely they want to match wits with a turkey, which is the entire purpose behind turkey hunting.
And then there's this: brings a whole new meaning to "matching wits with a turkey"
http://www.kansas.com/sports/outdoors/a ... 29249.html

Accidents definitely happen and you can't believe it happened or why. My dad shot my brother while turkey hunting 42 years ago last month. And to this day none of us can believe it.

TCRanch":l8wy2g5s said:
ga.prime":l8wy2g5s said:
More likely they want to match wits with a turkey, which is the entire purpose behind turkey hunting.
And then there's this: brings a whole new meaning to "matching wits with a turkey"
Those were irresponsible hunters on both ends of the stick. If you masquerade as a turkey during turkey season (and pretty risky any other time of the year I'd hazard to guess) you should expect to get shot or shot at.

Did you ask your weekend lease hunters when you met with them why they didn't want corn put in the feeders? Baiting turkeys is something like a trespass hunter would do, not one paying good money to hunt.

True Grit Farms":10wmxnl6 said:
TCRanch":10wmxnl6 said:
ga.prime":10wmxnl6 said:

Accidents definitely happen and you can't believe it happened or why. My dad shot my brother while turkey hunting 42 years ago last month. And to this day none of us can believe it.
Oh my gosh! Presumably your brother survived and is okay? But yes, accidents do happen, which is why no charges were filed.

ga.prime":11s22e41 said:
TCRanch":11s22e41 said:
ga.prime":11s22e41 said:
Those were irresponsible hunters on both ends of the stick. If you masquerade as a turkey during turkey season (and pretty risky any other time of the year I'd hazard to guess) you should expect to get shot or shot at.

Did you ask your weekend lease hunters when you met with them why they didn't want corn put in the feeders? Baiting turkeys is something like a trespass hunter would do, not one paying good money to hunt.
They're actually coming tonight. Moved it a week because we had potential severe storms in the forecast last weekend (plus Easter). But according to our neighbor they're all about The Hunt so I suspect that's why. I even mentioned that we have 5 toms battling over 9 hens in the alfalfa field by the barn and they didn't think the hunters would be interested in that either - way too easy.

Agree. You can't fix stupid.

If I leased to hunters I would have a VERY detailed contract such as gates closed, hunting hours, seasons, areas, where people can drive etc.... I used to be on a lease in east Tx. The manager subleased it from the logging companies. It was good, year round hog hunting, deer season, anything. But he didnt screen people and let low life on the lease. They stole property and wound up getting into a drunken fight one night and burning down a cabin I believe. Either way one week everything was good, next week all 30+ hunters had to have their stuff off within a week cause the gate locks were being changed. The contract was very clear. They violated the rules so the whole lease got yanked.

Ours turned out great, wonderful people, very respectful. Maaaaay do it again, only for turkey hunting. BUT a property across the road is owned by someone that lives in another town, uses it only for personal hunting and just happened to come down for the weekend. Got a text with pics (think deer-in-the-headlights/mug shot) from the owner at 7:00 a.m. asking if the busted poachers were part of "our" hunt. Fortunately not the ones allowed on our property but evidently another group from the same outfitter. They had clearly marked maps/property outlines but had inadvertently gotten lost in the dark. The property owner called the Sheriff, threatened to file charges and the hunters packed up and went home.

Jogeephus told me "the more people you add the more problems you have" he's right. The landowner was the only one in the right on that deal. What kind of outfitter sends someone out with a map in the dark? We use phones now, but years ago I'd give everyone a two way radio, and if there was a problem call me.

Born and raised across the road from the pierce ranch , had a two room school with mostly 7-12 kids (except when the Mexicans would come up and pick cotton , then maybe 3-6 more)years before I could hunt, goose hunting was aloud but then some idiots shot a bunch of water troughs and hunting was no longer permitted to the public, fast forward twenty something years and I ended back in Pierce Texas and drilled many wells on the ranch for Texaco : they had huge bucks then and I am sure they have them now; interesting story on how the ranch started