Lease Dilemma

Help Support CattleToday:

Ryan

Reaction score
With all the bull lease questions coming up I thought I'd through this one out there:

Lessee leases Bull for 60 days, pays in full at time of delivery of bull. Leasee has 8 cows, 2 of which have not calved yet (all other cows have calved out anywhere from 45-60 days prior to bull delivery date), on approximately 125 acres. After 30 days Bull gets out into the neighbors pasture with approximately 25 cows and 2 much smaller/younger bulls. At this time the Lessor picks up bull (from neighbors pasture) and brings back to Lessor's ranch at the request of the Lessee. Lessee says would rather not use that bull again as the bull might continue to get out. Lessor does not have another bull that could be leased out, does have some for sale.

*NOTE*
-Bull is 4 years old, has no prior record of getting out a pen, ever.
-Lessee lives approximately 2 hours from Lessee's property and visits cattle Friday - Sunday.

What to do? Anything? Lessor give back 1/2 of payment? Try to sell Lessee a bull and knock off the remaining balance of lease from sale price?

Basically what would You do to "settle up" if anything at all?

Ryan

Go buy a bull that you like at a sale barn and use him. After he is done sell him. That way if anything goes wrong its your fault.

We've loaned out bulls and had them loaned to us although rarely in either case. We've never leaseed a bull.

If I had leased the bull from someone I wouldn't expect any kind of refund or another bull as I would take it as my fault for not haveing adequate fencing to keep him where he belonged. I also would have had the cows and bull in just one small pasture away from any other cows and not roaming the whole 125 acres.

jgn":3i2mbc68 said:
If I had leased the bull from someone I wouldn't expect any kind of refund or another bull as I would take it as my fault for not haveing adequate fencing to keep him where he belonged. I also would have had the cows and bull in just one small pasture away from any other cows and not roaming the whole 125 acres.

This is how I feel also. It seems to me that the young bulls across the fence would be coming for a visit. The person leasing the bull and the person in the adjacent pastures need to do something about the fence period.

If I am the one who leased the bull, and requested the person I leased the bull from to come and get the bull, and take it home earlier than the agreed upon time frame, then I would not be expecting a replacement bull, or a refund since I was the one who requested that the bull leave early.

Katherine

I wouldn't expect anything out of the leasor. If the bull had made a habit out of being in the neighbours it would be different, but since he was only out the one time, I wouldn't expect anything from you.

Thanks for the replies. I really appreciate them. This happened to us this summer. We were the ones leasing out the bull. I agree with the comments, I felt since the individual leasing the bull did not have adequate facilities to hold the bull in, requested us to come pick him up from the other pasture and did not want that bull back then there was nothing that we could, or needed to, do.

When we have leased out one of our "minor" bulls (not our onsite breeding stock) the lessee is 100% responsible for picking up, returning bull in same condition as when he left. Once the lessee picks up our bull he/she is 100% responsible for controlling that bull until he returns.

We require 30 days advance payment when bull picked up here with balance of per deim fee for all days over 30 when bull is returned.

Ryan":2sayuna8 said:
Thanks for the replies. I really appreciate them. This happened to us this summer. We were the ones leasing out the bull. I agree with the comments, I felt since the individual leasing the bull did not have adequate facilities to hold the bull in, requested us to come pick him up from the other pasture and did not want that bull back then there was nothing that we could, or needed to, do.

I agree. You owe that person absolutely nothing.

I agree Ryan.. your obligation to the lessor was giving him a bull. It was his obligation to provide an adequate place to keep him, which would mean a fence that would hold him.

Even if you give them another bull, if they still have a sorry fence, what's to say the new bull won't get out also? And you know how bulls are.. once they start getting out, it gets very hard to keep them in. Why risk another bull?

ok....say i rent you a car for two months, and i deliver it to your house. you pay for the rental at that time. you do not know how to drive a car, so you tell me to come take the car back, and i do. you think i owe you anything???? :D

MrGale":1drrm48v said:
ok....say i rent you a car for two months, and i deliver it to your house. you pay for the rental at that time. you do not know how to drive a car, so you tell me to come take the car back, and i do. you think i owe you anything???? :D

I like that analogy. Thanks.

Latest posts