Learning to AI

Help Support CattleToday:

If she's standing in the monring we breed her in the evening, if she's standing in the evening we breed her in the morning. We breed basicly at 6am or 6pm

dun

polledbull":2lt67r7p said:
The absoulute best method of heat detection is with the electronic HeatWatch system . It is far superior to any other method we have ever used. It is the best money we ever spent on my farm .

I like the heat watch system. Used it in college and really liked it. Local ABS rep has one that he has used for years for a discounted price. BUT, my pastures are too rolling to be able to use that system.

So, I resort to living with them for just a little while longer. Knowing full well that my time will be rewarded with a 30 day calving season(give or take)

When AI'ing a cow, do most of you use a squeeze chute, stanchions, or some other method?

Here we use a squeeze. But i've done it with a halter, behind a gate, in an alleyway, standing on the miling floor in a milk parlor. Pretty much whatever is available and adequate to restrain the animal adequately

dun

Well Dun you have convinced me. No CIDERs this year. If this works out I'll save money spent on CIDERs and extra semen and still have a tight calving season. Possibly tighter. 8)

When my husband started breeding cattle (some 35 years ago) in Kansas, most beef producers had never AI'd their cattle & had no facilities. You'd be surprised how many he bred at the end of a rope tied to a tree. We would chase the cow around the tree til she was snubbed up tight. The owner would try to hold her there & Ken would breed her there. Not the best for conception rates!!! :shock: :D

Big D":1xz9trg9 said:
When AI'ing a cow, do most of you use a squeeze chute, stanchions, or some other method?
I use a squeeze chute. After placing a bar behind them I back their heads out of the headcatch. They seem to stay calmer when I do. When I went to school for AI they used stanchions and that was the best. I had plenty of room to work and the cow had very little. Even the most rambunctious of the bunch went well.