Learn from my mistake

Help Support CattleToday:

Rydero

Reaction score
If ever you want to instantly feel sick and full of regret do what I did.

We were feeding, bedding and getting shelters in place for the snow storm today. There's been one cow who we've been watching because she's been laying around and seems a little weak on her back legs. Saw her and her calf together and decided to bring her up to see what's what. Shut the tractor down and called my helpers over and we walked the cow and calf to the facilities to take a look at after.

Walked back to the tractor to carry on and finish feeding. I've got a fair sized FWA tractor. Started it up and I always let it run a bit and run through it's computer stuff. A calf jumped up and ran away. I backed up turned and went ahead. As I went ahead I felt a bump. I knew right away I'd run over a calf. I got out and saw that I had. Eye bulging out but still alive. I went to the house for the rifle to put him down. When I got back he was up. His eye is obviously done. I checked him over, especially his jaw which seemed fine. Walked him and his momma up and put them in a pen. Gave him Metacam and waited for him to get worse. Turns out he's quite fine considering he was run over. Going to have the eye removed and he'll get the I'm so sorry I ran you over treatment from here on out.

It was a sick feeling. You always know it's a possibility. One of the reasons I love the tractor w the Vario is I can creep around as slow as I want.

Main takeaways for me are - it's a bad idea parking a tractor in a pen w calves. If you do check under it EVERY TIME before you move. Spotters are good. Don't let yourself get distracted by another task. Don't jump the gun euthanizing an injured animal that may be in shock without accessing it. (If the rifle was in the tractor I would've shot it immediately).

I vicariously know that sick feeling. My husband ran over a heavy bred cow and we ended up having to put her down. Glad you're evidently having a MUCH better outcome! And, BTW, you're in good company:

Do not bushhog high hemp in neighbors pasture even if he says all the calves are moved. <period (Graphics intentionally omitted)

I feel for you Rydero, a person does all they can for their welfare and when we slip up and do something like that it's an awful feeling. I'm glad it looks like this story will have a reasonably happy ending.

I've seen a couple of cows impaled by bale spears, too. Be careful out there, folks.
Had a friend do just that. Cow made it to the vet clinic but not much longer.
Try popping the eye back in and suture lids together for about a week. Eyes can be resilient things at times. Think of the "Three Stooges" They were always poking each others eyes out.

Ken
We tried pushing it back in briefly with no success. I'm not going to lie squimishness, not knowing it if could be done and not really believing it could possibly survive prevented a serious effort.
Wow that's crazy and not a bad looking calf, except the eye. Can a vet help the eye?
Vet has been sent pictures and will remove the eye. I've had it done on a cancer eye cow so she could raise her calf and it was pretty trouble free.
Do not bushhog high hemp in neighbors pasture even if he says all the calves are moved. <period (Graphics intentionally omitted)
Ouch. That's rough.
I feel for you Rydero, a person does all they can for their welfare and when we slip up and do something like that it's an awful feeling. I'm glad it looks like this story will have a reasonably happy ending.
Thanks. That's the crappy thing - we're out there trying to make sure the calves get through a storm without getting sick and I run over one. Kind of defeats the purpose.

Vet said to leave them in and eventually they'll dissolve. If all goes well he should need a shot of long acting penicillin in a couple days and be off to the races. Half hour to do and he just did it right in the stock trailer.

One of the things I dread the worst about winter feeding and calving - they don't even care and there are too many blind spots. Glad this one will make it ok.