Leaking hydrolic fitting

Help Support CattleToday:

kerley

Reaction score
I have a leak where the female end of the quick release hose screws into the Joy Stick control box. What type thread sealer should I apply if any to stop the leak. Advise is appreciated.
Thank you, Tom

If it's a standard pipe taper, I use the liquid pipe dope. Some mfgs will void a warranty on pumps/valves if you use tape.

cfpinz":z64fd1sh said:
If it's a standard pipe taper, I use the liquid pipe dope. Some mfgs will void a warranty on pumps/valves if you use tape.
Thanks pinz, My tractor is six years old. I bought it new. The warranty was two years or 2000 hours. I just clocked 400 hours, so I'm not worried about the warranty.
Thanks, Tom

kerley":1axpsbax said:
Thanks pinz, My tractor is six years old. I bought it new. The warranty was two years or 2000 hours. I just clocked 400 hours, so I'm not worried about the warranty.
Thanks, Tom

I was referring more to the valves on aftermarket equipment. I know of several mfg's that will void the warranty on their valves or other components if traces of pipe tape are found in the malfunctioning unit.

When the company I work for sent me to trade school, the instructor made a point to instill in us that teflon tape is for lubricating purposes only - it helps the pipe thread further engage into each other. The liquid dope is primarily for sealing although it lubricates also. That being said, half the mechanics here use tape and dope, whatever floats your boat.

All of this applies to tapered pipe threads, swages and other fittings are a whole nother ball game.

If it is NPT, National Pipe Thread as mentioned then pipe dope. If the thread is standard straight thread with a O ring then maybe the O ring is bad. Most of those are NPT.

is it leaking where the hose connects to the male quick coupler or at the quick coupler joint itself? If its at the hose/male fitting connection then the above sealer advise is correct. If it is at the coupler connection itself that is a different problem. Jim

cfpinz":2xvzymyb said:
kerley":2xvzymyb said:
Thanks, Tom

I was referring more to the valves on aftermarket equipment. I know of several mfg's that will void the warranty on their valves or other components if traces of pipe tape are found in the malfunctioning unit.

When the company I work for sent me to trade school, the instructor made a point to instill in us that teflon tape is for lubricating purposes only - it helps the pipe thread further engage into each other. The liquid dope is primarily for sealing although it lubricates also. That being said, half the mechanics here use tape and dope, whatever floats your boat.

All of this applies to tapered pipe threads, swages and other fittings are a whole nother ball game.
Pinz, I was not being rude and I appreciate your help. My point was that Kubota should warranty my tractor for the 2000 hrs. regardless of age.

SRBeef":wtv3zq4c said:
is it leaking where the hose connects to the male quick coupler or at the quick coupler joint itself? If its at the hose/male fitting connection then the above sealer advise is correct. If it is at the coupler connection itself that is a different problem. Jim
Jim, The leak is where the quick coupler screws into the hydrolic manifold, threaded metal to threaded metal.
Thanks, Tom

kerley":1g0nhcgk said:
SRBeef":1g0nhcgk said:
Jim, The leak is where the quick coupler screws into the hydrolic manifold, threaded metal to threaded metal.
Thanks, Tom

Then blowing everything off thoroughly, unscrewing the coupler from the manifold and, as suggested by others above, applying by brushing a bit of liquid thread sealant to the male portion is the way to go. Just be very careful not to get sealant into your hydraulic system. This should take care of your leak unless either the coupler or the manifold are cracked in which case they need to be replaced. Good luck. Jim

kerley":mpvlgxs9 said:
Pinz, I was not being rude and I appreciate your help. My point was that Kubota should warranty my tractor for the 2000 hrs. regardless of age.

No worries, I didn't take it as being rude at all. Just wanted to make clear what I meant earlier. My mind runs a lot faster than my fingers and sometimes it's hard for me to make my point clear.

Best of luck.

Latest posts