lead poisoning

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
This afternoon after church I saw one of my momma cows in labor. Sitting with 10 ft if her was three black vultures. About 5 minutes later two of the three just fell over dead. The third flew to a tree at the edge of the pasture and wouldn't you know...he fell dead too. not sure of the cause of death but I am guessing lead poisoning. Oh well.....it wouldn't do to have contaminated carcasses laying around so I did the right thing and gave them a Christian burial.

Nesikep":2i4d2lz5 said:
It was very christian of you!.. Really surprising all 3 of them got lead poisoning though
Me too. I think this strain is contagious. It seems to move from one to the other if they linger around long enough.

Apparently lead poisoning is contagious. Especially the lead poisoning that affects the lower gut thus crippling the infected bird where it writhes around on the ground. Others will come to it and attempt first aid or possibly to feed on it then they become infected. Others continue to come as long as the first infected kicks and flaps. I guess its like Ebola only more infectious.

Hoss, glad you saw what was happening in time. I lost one a few weeks ago to those grey headed devils.

I kept a poison applicator with me all day Saturday, and never had any come close enough to do any good. It's like they are wise to my ways.