Lead On

Help Support CattleToday:

NCSU Maverick

Reaction score
How does he do on heifers? Any problems? I've got a few straws of him and have two 3/4 sisters out of 2878 that I'm thinking about using him on but one of them is a heifer? Thoughts...

NCSU Maverick":5u5916c9 said:
How does he do on heifers? Any problems? I've got a few straws of him and have two 3/4 sisters out of 2878 that I'm thinking about using him on but one of them is a heifer? Thoughts...

We've had two Lead On calves born this year. One was a 73 lb bull calf out of an old EXT-Pierre cow. The other was a 72 lb heifer out of a TC Foreman-Krugerrand cow. His BW EPD is good, 2.2, but his calving ease is not, only 4. ABS only gives him two stars for calving ease. It would depend on the heifer, I guess, but we won't use him on our heifers until we get more of his calves on the ground. For what it's worth....

We've had two Lead On calves born this year. One was a 73 lb bull calf out of an old EXT-Pierre cow. The other was a 72 lb heifer out of a TC Foreman-Krugerrand cow. His BW EPD is good, 2.2, but his calving ease is not, only 4. ABS only gives him two stars for calving ease. It would depend on the heifer, I guess, but we won't use him on our heifers until we get more of his calves on the ground. For what it's worth....

thanks for the input but i went ahead and slapped a In Focus in her, the higher CED may help me sleep better in nine months

thanks for the input but i went ahead and slapped a In Focus in her, the higher CED may help me sleep better in nine months

That was probably your best move. We never used In Focus, but did buy a heifer bred to him. She had a nice, energetic bull calf, 68 lbs. He's a pretty little guy, but seems small to me. We'll see what happens when the grass comes out and he can graze. :)