Leachman Stabilizer Breed ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
I got a nice bull color catalog yesterday. I must be one someone's Christmas list :cowboy: They had an interesting background write up where they claimed composite x composite breeding had 75% of the hybrid vigor of an F1 cross.

Does this make sense?

Stocker Steve":1xynemqj said:
I got a nice bull color catalog yesterday. I must be one someone's Christmas list :cowboy: They had an interesting background write up where they claimed composite x composite breeding had 75% of the hybrid vigor of an F1 cross.

Does this make sense?

The way I understand your question it makes perfect sense depending on the ingredients in the composite. Assuming an F1 cross gives you 100% hybrid vigor composite x composite at 75% makes sense. You will lose some of the initial cross trait dominance as to a degree it will already be bred into the composites.

Stocker Steve":24h4m0pj said:

Does this make sense?

Yep, you still maintain some hybrid vigor. The problem is that unlike F1 or 3 way cross, you lose consistency. It's mendalian genetics. AA x BB will give you 100% AB composites AB x AB will give you 25% AA, 25% BB and 50% AB. Of course there is more than two genes. But the principles apply. F1 or 3 way crosses give you the most heterosis with consistency. Otherwise, you have to choose- consistency or heterosis. One or the other will be compromised to some degree.